New amp day: Acoustic Image Contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

I was very surprised to find an original Acoustic Image Contra at the local pawn shop. I got a good deal on it and Rick Jones from Acoustic Image is sending me the missing rubber feet. It sounds great with my upright basses (at least in my house) and I'm looking forward to trying it out on a gig. Much more of a natural sound when compare to my Markbass combo.

- Steve
  2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Hi Steve,
    If my experience with my AI Coda IV is any measure, you'll like it. Had fun at the TBUG, by the way. Haven't played the new BG yet - not enough time. Bob Cook
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    If it has a grill on the bottom, make sure it isn't pushed in.
  4. Steve Boisen

Thanks Bob. Let me know how you like the Gold Tone once you get a chance to work with it.

- Steve
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Boisen

The grill on the bottom is missing completely, but the woofer is okay. Rick Jones sent me instructions on how to install an aftermarket metal grill and I just ordered one.

- Steve
  7. Steve Boisen

It's taken me a little while to get used to this amp, but I am starting to really enjoy it's unique characteristics. I used it on my first gig subbing with a jazz trio in an upscale restaurant here in Tampa, and both the pianist and drummer commented how good it sounded. After a few gigs with them, I brought my GK MB150S and they noticed the difference right away. Afterwards the drummer said that the Contra sounded "rounder" and the pianist told me that the GK sounded good on stage, but couldn't be heard as well out front. Then the drummer pointed to the GK and jokingly said I'd be fired on the spot if I brought that amp again.

- Steve
  8. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Steve ,
    Congrats. Really great/useful observations....I play in a midtown/theatre district restaurant and double using the markbass and occasionally the gk150e. I have been struggling with eqing in the room for a long time, especially the gk. Did you notice it easier to adjust levels with the Ai and adjust to the rooms you play in.
    Thanks for the info.
    Best
    Sri