1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Amp Day: Ashdown Little Bastard

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Snagged at the MF fire sale... I'll never sell the 400RB, but this Little Bastard is the stuff! (Though the Walkabout may take a walk...)

[​IMG]
  2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Nice! I have one, I put it through an Ashdown VS-115 cab, it sounds great!!

Enjoy!
  3. Lowbrow

Man- this thing sounds flat-out amazing, and it's really a lot of fun. I've become so used to active EQ setups that this interactive passive stack is a real learning process, but it is somehow organic rather than confusing - and I often find amps with 'too many knobs' to be a frustration.

I've found this demo video to be useful - though the differences in tone that the fellow refers to are probably more audible to him in the room than they are on the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk

I would never have considered buying the LB30 if it were not offered for less than 1/2 price. But I got lucky, and am so glad I splurged. If there are any others out there who want the warm-to-raunchy tube experience at rec-room acceptable levels, I highly recommend it if affordable. Look for LB30s to pop up as result of the sale!

And all you Little Bastard vets - send along your EQ recommendations!
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a B-15 guy myself ;) but for a long time I've sung the praises of low wattage tube amps, especially if you like distortion, as they'll distort and not blast you out of the room. They sound darn good clean, too.
  5. Lowbrow

I have not been more enthused about a piece of gear since I bought my new Fender Mustang in 1977. It is a great feeling to really be totally satisfied with a purchase.
  6. koobie

koobie Supporting Member

What was the MF blow-out price on the LB30?
  7. Lowbrow

$399.99
  8. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to pick one of these up during that sale as well. Very pleased with the sound of this head. Question for owners of this head and the matching cabs. Would the 112 or the 115 be a better choice?
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I missed that stupid sale and have been going crazy ever since I really want one of the little sweeties but not at $849.00
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just use whatever cab sounds good to you and forget about the size of the speaker. Speaker size is the very least important factor in how a cab sounds.
  11. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

Certainly understand that. Not asking because of the size of the speaker, more the reports that some users have said that the 112 was getting overloaded by this head but the 115 wasn't. Not planning to use this head as a gigging head, but wanted to get an understanding of what level the 112 overloads compared to the 115.

I used this head with my Genz 212T and it sounded great. Also used it with my Ampeg PF-115E and it sounded great.

Just looking for input on the matching Ashdown cabs and their handling of this head, in particular.
  12. TSanders

TSanders

Sweet deal on a cool amp.

bet it sounds great through the Bag Ends. I run a S-15D fed by a 70s V4B or Aguilar DB359, and its a sweet pairing.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

No doubt it sounded good with a PF115HE cab. Prefect match I would think.:cool:
  14. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

I'll probably pair it with a ampeg svt 210av, I think it's going to sound pretty nice for a practice rig.
  15. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

The pf115 is tempting too, are they easy to carry?
  16. rodl2005

rodl2005

I think they are. Sure they'd be easier with side handles, but, hasn't been an issue for me.
  17. klejst

klejst

Very nice. I missed out on that killer deal MF had..I always miss out or am one of the last to find out about such deals :atoz:
  18. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

SWEET! I love those amps!!
  19. bassguppy

bassguppy

I finally got around to demo'ing the LB that I picked up at the MF fire sale.

Little Bastard---Ampeg 115---P Bass

....WOW! I hooked up one of my Ampeg PN115's (8ohms) and loved what I heard. I only spent about ten minutes with it but am thoroughly impressed. With both my 115's I think this amp may be able to do up to medium size gigs (my band isn't stupid loud) with proper PA support and a mic'd cab would be able to hold it's own on the right stage.

For $839 I'm not so sure but for $399 it's a bargain.
  20. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member