New amp or Effect pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rolfskylark, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

Hi so I have the choice to either buy a bigger amp or buy a couple effect pedals.
    For the amp I was thinking about getting the GK GLX 410 bass cab and the GK backline 600 bass head.
    For pedals I was thinking about an overdrive pedal and a synth pedal.

I was leaning toward the pedals but advise would be nice.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Backline head is not bad at all. The Goldline cabs suck. They're strictly beginner cabs built for loudness at a cheap price and not for decent tone. You're better off getting a decent cab, even if you have to go used. And I love pedals, but whether I upgraded my rig or bought a couple pedals would depend heavily on my current rig and my need for upgrading.
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Yeah, Jimmy nailed it.

I'm a big effects fan but I think having a rig you're happy with should be a much higher priority.

And I'm also not a fan of the Goldline cabs. I'd save up for a Neo 212 or a pair of the Neo 112s. MUCH better GK cabs.

Good luck!
  4. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Neo 410! Seriously though, the Backline 600 is great for the price. Solid, and great GK tone. I'd get the heads and cabs first, then work from there. They will define much of your sound, and pedals can refine it further.
  5. Register to disable this ad