1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New amp or fix Carvin BR610

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BryanM, Feb 24, 2014.

1. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I've got a Carvin BR610 that's been my mighty steed for nearly a decade now. It's been a solid amp, but for the last year or two it's been buzzing something awful. It's to the point that it can't be used for recording and sound men are muting my DI send in between songs.

I've gone through and checked that all of the ribbon cables are connected snugly, because I know that you can lose the ground connection if some of them are inserted improperly, but to really suss out the issue, I feel like a tech will need to spend significant time with the amp and schematics, chasing away any potential ground loops and making sure all ground points are making solid contact.

I really like the tone of this amp and have come to identify it as "my tone" but feel like I'll be looking at a $200 or greater bill to really get it into shape plus bench time, and then it's still going to be a frayed, rat fur mess with exposed wood. In the opinion of TalkBass, does this seem worthwhile or should I start looking around at alternatives and relegate this one to the practice room?
  2. NZBassman

NZBassman

One thing I always do is weigh up the approximate cost of repairing the amp to the cost of buying another amp
    If the amp was only going to cost $200 to get fixed and sound as good as new - but another amp of the same quality...etc... will cost $500 then it's a no brainer to get the amp fixed, but if a similar quality amp is only going to cost about the same as getting your existing amp repaired, then you may want to look at upgrading.

But as you've mentioned you really like the tone of your amp, and you may not be able to get the tone you want out of a new amp, so maybe repairing the amp is the way to go
  3. NZBassman

NZBassman

I believe tone is much more important that asthetics - who cares what the amp looks like.... as long as it sounds good!
  4. 5port

5port

That's the BX600 head mounted in a 2X10 combo. This sounds like a connection gone bad.

1) try cleaning the effects jacks (in and out) with contact cleaner.

2) Inspect the input jack connections to first pc board.

3) make sure boards are mounted securely.

The good news is that head is a standard 2 rackspace head so any two rackspace head from any company will fit (for instance a Peavey T-max).
  5. MyMusic

MyMusic

5port has the right idea. And if you do replace the amp, the BX500 and BX700 should work with no problem.
  6. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I've been leaning towards throwing in a BX500 and putting the 600 in the practice space. I've cleaned all of the jacks with contact cleaner, replaced the input jack (old one came loose from the board), checked the mounting on all the boards and checked all the ribbon cables. None of these seem to be the issue. I'll probably go Carvin if I replace it because I've been blown away by their service. When I replaced the input jack, the amp was already 5 or 6 years old and they just sent me a bag of replacements at no charge, along with a service manual. I've also considered just going with a micro combo like the BX250 and putting this whole combo out to pasture, since we have PA support at 90% of the venues we play.