New Amp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Jan 9, 2014.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I need some suggestions for a new head to try out. The cabinets I'm pairing with are an Ampeg SVT-810 for some applications and a Ampeg PR-410 for other situations.

-Good, clear full range sound - I use a decent amount of pitch shifted effects for some applications so it needs to handle it all well.

-Enough to push the 8x10 when necessary. (800W+ SS or 200W+ Tube)

-Price really isn't a concern if its a winner, but not super keen on something that is overly boutique that if it needs repair I could be waiting months.

I've been using a SVT 4Pro for years and it's all dandy for the most part, but it's time to buy and I'm curious what other suggestions are out there.

Current curiosities.
    Tech 21
    Mesa Boogie
    Orange
  2. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Wow, crickets... Ha Ha... maybe I will just go with what I know then...
  3. wallerdub

wallerdub

Definitely check out the new Mesa tube heads. Go play them if you can!
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Have you looked at G-K? 1001RB II, 2001RB for the big boys, MB800/MB Fusion 800 for a light weight? Can be clean or gritty, always quick and effects don't get muddy.
  5. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I reccomend tech 21. I've been using the Sans amp RBI since it came out an love it. I have a 7 string tuned down a 4th and send the XLR from the RBI to FOH. Ive been using ampeg classic cabs for years. I actually prefer the way F# sounds coming out of the 810E over the lower tuned 410HLF. Its a tighter sound. you hear the lows more but feel them a little less if that makes sense. The SVT4 has a power amp in, so you wouldn't need to buy a power amp to use a sans amp as a pre. I still use an old SWR750x as a power amp for my RBI but that'll likely change soon as I'm tired of lifting it.
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

As far as new and light weight:
    GK MB 800
    Ampeg PF800

As far as powerful:
    GK 2001RB
    GK 1001RB

An Amp that might be worth your wild:
    GK 800RB