1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HypersoulRocks, Jan 9, 2013.

1. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

I gig pretty regularly with my littlemark 3. I'm looking for a backup that can run at least 500 watts at 8 ohms, I prefer solid state but I'm not dead set on it. it must be rack mountable as well.
    I also don't want to spend more than 1000 dollars for something new... any suggestions?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Peavey IPR 1600 + your choice of pre-amp. You can get the amp new for a ridiculous price, and it will pair with just about any pre you can think of. I like my ART PC II and my Aguilar Tone Hammer.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Huh? You don't want to spend more than 1000, ok. How much do you want to spend for a backup to a middle of the road amp?

4. fkh006

fkh006

I picked up a second Little Mark as a backup to my first one for 300 bucks on craigslist.
    I leave it in the trunk.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Thats not 500 watts at 8 Ohms though...

Maybe the OP is looking for a 600 watt tube head that runs at 8 Ohms for under $1,000?

:bag:

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

G-K MB800 but I don't know if the rack mount kit is out yet.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

OP has something on his mind but it's not a backup amp.

9. HypersoulRocks

..I just know my minimum requirements, and was opening it up for some brainstorming...is that a problem?

10. B-string

11. HypersoulRocks

That GK might be spot on. I have a GK combo for home & church, so I'm familiar with their sound. Thanks!

12. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

i just think guys frown upon the whole 300 watts is this loud and 500 watts is this loud..

There are lots of variables that come into play, and the wattage of an amplifier does not say anything about the volume it puts out through a speaker cab as all 300watt amps aren't the same loudness, and sometimes you may even find a 300 watt amp that sounds louder then a 500 watt amp..

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

No problem, but you are really asking for an upgrade not a backup. It's a nonsense to set a spend almost double the price, like it was a poorly phrased rhetorical "don't suggest me no stupid expensive thing".

Then you throw in tubes, there are no 500W @8 ohm tube bass amps, end of story.

14. B-string

Your welcome and IIRC when BGM bench tested the MB800 at 8 ohms it was outputting 504 watts!

15. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Well if you like the LMII; maybe a second one will do ya?

I find my LMII sounds loud n low thru one of my Epfani UL410, 8 ohm cabs. (cabs for sale too) Sometimes I put my VT pedal in front of it, might be ready to offer that pedal for sale too.

Or if you like a big, loud and already racked amp. Carvin B1500