new amp

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by connorlewis, Jun 21, 2012.

1. connorlewis

connorlewis

im looking for a new amp to use at school and church it needs to be loud enough to fill a gym type setting but i dont want to spend over 700 dollars.. do you have any suggestions?

2. lowb1970

lowb1970

I would go with TC ELECTRONICS RH 450 currently available for $699.00. This head has great tone and built in tuner and compressor. Also 3 programmable channels.

3. JimL

JimL

Aguilar's Tone Hammer 500 is in the same price range, too.

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

i'm with jimL. the aguilar tone hammer 500 is at the top of your price range at around $700 right now and would certainly work well in that type of setting. i really love mine... i'm always a big fan of buying used gear, too. generally can save you a lot of $$$ or get you into something even higher-end that might have been out of your price range when new.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. olegsulimov

olegsulimov

Hello, Adam. I'm looking for a new amp too. Is Tone Hammer a better choice than Markbass, Genz Benz, Tecamp or EBS Reidmar?

7. adamnitti

adamnitti

Well, each of those amps has its own character and sound. Personally, I play Aguilar amplifiers because I absolutely love the way my basses sound through them. They make several different models, and each of them has particular strengths/features. The Tone Hammer 500 is great because it is so lightweight that still packs a powerful punch with great tone. I use it on a variety of different types of gigs. You would need to compare it to the others to see if it works for you, but I'm a huge fan of it. :)

8. SIR CHARLES

SIR CHARLES

Hey Adam I have a Lakland 5 skyline bass and a gallien 2x12 combo amp that is rated at 500 watts . How should my eq' s be set on the bass and the amp to get the best tone at high volumes?

9. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi sir charles!

i'm not that familiar with that combination of bass and amplifier, but generally speaking i try to do most of my tweaking using the eq on the bass guitar first. i only introduce eq changes on my amps if the room needs it... i like to always start with the amp flat and see how it sounds from there first before making extra adjustments, regardless of the volume level i am playing at. also keep in mind that boosting eq on an amplifier introduces tiny levels of distortion, which at super high volumes can aggravate your gear. hope that helps!