New Ampeg BA Combos - Which One?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Mar 26, 2014.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I'm looking to buy a budget combo and I see that Ampeg is about to release an updated BA line. The question is, between the BA112 and the BA115, which would be better tonally. My bass is a Gretsch Electromatic G2224 Junior Jet II.
  2. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Oh yeah, and the style of music is roots/Americana/country/folk stuff with a bit of classic rock in there as well. I usually play with a couple of acoustic guitars and a drummer with a pretty light touch.
  3. bluespenny

bluespenny

Why did they do away with the white piping... aesthetically not a step forward for Ampeg.
  4. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I had a BA115 and liked it very much. Played in a punk band with a dude who had a BA115 and liked it very much. I can't imagine the 112 would sound TOO much different....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've always felt that with the old ones, the BA112 was the overall best sounding out of the BA line, but the BA115 also sounds good and has a definite power advantage. But the BA112 isn't exactly shy, either. No idea how these new ones will sound, but I'll be getting a BA112v2.
  7. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Thanks for that. I notice that the specs say that the speakers are "Ampeg Custom12" (or 15 depending on the model). Given that Ampeg don't actually manufacture speakers, do you know who made them? The new Fender Rumble series are Eminence speakers.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Eminence makes Ampeg's speakers to their specs.
  9. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Thanks Jimmy. All things considered, it doesn't really matter who makes them but I am a curious sort.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Eminences are fine speakers. Don't expect speakers the quality of the Kappalite 3015 ;) but they do a good job.
  11. DogBone

DogBone

The BA112 definitely held the sweet spot in the old BA series, so just guessing with the new series but I'd certainly recommend giving it a shot.

I auditioned the entire orginal BA series side by side, and tonewise the BA112 just smoked the others, crisper highs and a good amount of built in grit when pushed.