1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Ampeg BA Series Bass Combos announced

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MikeL77, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MikeL77

MikeL77

I received the following email from Ampeg yesterday 3/13/14. They created new versions of the BA series but did not change their names.
    Are they better than the old version or not as good? The new 108 and 110 each have 5 fewer watts RMS (the only two I compared).
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/

Ampeg introduces the new BA Series Bass Combos!
    View this email in your browser
    Meet the new BA Series Bass Combos

Completely redesigned, Ampeg’s all-new BA Series Combos feature legacy Ampeg preamp and tone stack circuits with a wide range of classic Ampeg tones. The rugged, portable designs include a true 60° sound reinforcement monitor angle for added clarity and performance-driven features perfect for serious gigging, rehearsal and solo practice.

With five new models – the BA-108, BA-110, BA-112, BA-115 and BA-210 there is an option for every bass-player.

THE BA SERIES BASS COMBOS
    CLASSIC AMPEG TONE IN MODERN, PERFORMANCE-DRIVEN COMBOS
    The modern, flexible designs include a true 60° sound reinforcement monitor angle that directs sound right to your ears, adding clarity and definition in any situation. Plus, performance-driven features like integrated DIs and effects loops are ideal for both live performance and rehearsal or practice. Portable by design and built for gigging, a protective all-steel amp chassis, durable double-thick Tolex® and metal corners deliver the durability you need during transport. Classic Ampeg tones in modern, performance-driven combos – BA Series.
    CLASSIC TONE

Legacy Ampeg preamp and tone stack circuits
    Ampeg Ultra Hi/Lo tone shaping*
    Bass Scrambler™ overdrive for SVT grind*
    Perfectly-matched Ampeg Custom™ speakers

MODERN FLEXIBILITY

True 60° sound reinforcement monitor angle
    Integrated DIs, effects loops, extension speaker outs*
    Aux in / headphone outs

RUGGED PORTABILITY

Protective all-steel amp chassis
    Impact-resistant metal corners
    Rugged, braced enclosures

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Don't know how good they are...they're not out yet. Getting a BA112 anyway. With an extra 25w and a Scrambler, it would have to be good.

3. bnolsen

bnolsen

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope, don't have an older BA112, sorry.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

There can't be too many Ampeg threads!

Hey Jimmy, why are you focused on the 112 model if I may ask?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Always was my favorite of the BA line, and I already have a BA108 and BA110.

8. MikeL77

MikeL77

Which has better specs and is more powerful?

An older BA-108 at 25 watts RMS into 8 ohms or the new BA-108 at 15 watts at 4 ohms?
    OLD Version:
    Output Power Rating
    25 watts rms @ 8 ohms, 3% THD [BA-108]
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    67 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, unweighted) [BA-108]
    NEW Version:
    Output Power Rating
    15 watts @ 4 ohms, 10% THD+N
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    77 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, unweighted

or
    An older BA-110 at 35 watts RMS into 8 ohms or the new BA-110 at 30 watts at 4 ohms?
    OLD Version:
    Output Power Rating
    35 watts rms @ 8 ohms, 3% THD
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    68 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, unweighted)

NEW Version:
    Output Power Rating
    30 watts rms @ 4 ohms, 10% THD+N
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    76 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, unweighted)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Impedance doesn't matter. The new and old BA110 is likely a wash since 5w either way isn't significant. Don't know about the old/new BA108 but that's a bit of a hit it takes. Still, it was never the loudest amp Ampeg ever made anyway, so I guess we'll see what happens when it comes out.

10. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I'd love to have a combo for those very small quieter gigs where I don't really need my PF-800 2-SVT112 stack. I'm probably going to go with a the new BA-115, if the specs on the Ampeg site are correct it's only 3 lbs. heavier than the 112 and I'd rather have 150 watts as opposed to 75 on the 112. I will hopefully be able to try them both before I order one.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I don't see why you couldn't try them both first. If stores carry any Ampeg at all, it's usually the BA series.

12. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Saw these at NAMM, what I understood was that the "Scrambler" OD is not the same circuit/sound as the old pedal version, they're re-purposing the name for the new OD circuit.

I could be totally wrong, the conversation was a bit confused and it was late in day 3 of the show so I wasn't exactly in top form.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We'll see when it comes out.

BTW, don't anyone get their hopes up for a Scrambler pedal reissue.

14. AmpegUSA

AmpegUSA

Disclosures:
    Product Marketing Manager - Ampeg
    Yeah, it is not the traditional Scrambler circuit. It is a newly-designed, straight-up overdrive circuit. Pedals are always interesting, but I agree that the classic Scrambler pedal is not high on our list.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, I told Stu that I'd buy one so that would make only 4999 more you'd have to sell to make tooling up worth it. He told me that you'd do it if I bought the remaining 4999. That ain't happening ;)

Too bad it stiffed both times it came to market. I think it's a really interesting pedal. Oh well, not like you can't get clones for $100, or an original for $500.

16. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I bought a new Ampeg BA112v2 and I think it is a cool little amp. It has a fan, which I did not expect. The scrambler is pretty cool, especially since I bought this specifically to jam 70s rock with some friends. I threw some round wound strings on my 1974 Rickenbacker 4000 and it sounds really sweet through this amp. It has more punch and volume than the old BA112, which is to be expected. When I play my Hofner violin bass through it, the amp has the warmth and round, fat thump needed for that bass. All around, I am very happy with this purchase! Now let's see how she does in a practice room with drums and an electric guitar!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    What? They're out and Stu didn't tell me? How dare he!!! :D

18. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez