1. Welcome to the premier online bass player community and classifieds!

Register a free account to remove in-screen ads.

New (and improved?!) Bass Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndyLES, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
  2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  3. Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    To be honest I hope it sucks because I've just bought an mxr bass fuzz deluxe and got my bass big muff PI modded!! Ill be quite frustrated if I like this haha
  4. G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    The artwork is cool
    The crossover is a great idea for any dirty effect, so is the input pad.
    Fully tweakable gate and clean blend too. It's got all the features of a boutique fuzz.
    And a price that is competitive with all the boutique versions that may only have one of those features.
    DI Output as well. What doesn't it do?
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Doesn't sound like its a gate in the way you are thinking of, sounds like its there to get rid of hum and other noises, not to cut the edges off like a Mammoth or Brown Dog.
  7. G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    The gate may just be there to clean up noise, but I'm kinda hoping when set to maximum it can cut a note off abruptly.
  8. Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Hmmmm, I think I kinda like that.
  9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm liking the HPF & LPF. Gonna have to try one of these.
  10. It's got everything except a mid boost control/function - I wonder if the crossover is effective for preserving mids. If it is, I'll have to try it!
  11. Kind of surprised that EHX put several actual useful features on this pedal. Still haven't heard it though...
  12. If it works as well as it is planned, this may just be worth a shot. EHX however, have a lot to do to prove themselves to me, I've tried so many of their pedals and I really want to like them, but they just didn't cut it for me.
  13. Damn, I really wish they had put a Mids control on. That is the biggest thing missing for Big Muffs. The crossover is definitely interesting to me.
  14. gdavis

Oct 18, 2012
    Good grief, I just ordered a standard bass big muff pi this morning.
  15. jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    I'm watching, and hoping, and interested.
  16. Will have to give it a spin once available. Wish they had put all the jackage on top.
  17. Between the blend and the crossover control, the mids might actually be retainable. Who wants to sell me their used one ;)
    BassikLee likes this.
  18. I fear this could be a typically half baked implementation - why put the crossover on a footswitch? If I stomp on that and it cuts the highs from my clean sound and lows from my fuzz sound, I expect the result to have a slight mid boost and overall volume drop...

I would have much prefer they put that on a toggle switch and used the second footswitch for a feedback loop or pre-amp boost.
  19. mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Bremerton, WA
    +1 on the feedback loop.
    As is I suppose it can be used to swap between two different"characters" of distortion. Interesting to say the least.
  20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Looks very intriguing. I look forward to trying it out.
  21. Damn, in five years this thing has everything... I mean, when they were at it, they could have easily put a cabsim for the DI, a mid button...

Now seriously, this is exactly what I need. I'll buy it, definitely.