NEW and in need of advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFishing1991, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BassFishing1991

BassFishing1991

So I've never played the bass before. The last musical instrument I played was the clarinet in 4th grade, years ago. To say that I've always wanted to pick up an instrument is probably an overstatement - it wasn't until recently that I got in a little more touch with myself, put down the video games, etc and really discovered that I was missing music in my life.

Now here I am. Square one. I have no idea about anything. I don't know ANYTHING about the bass, no strings, chords, tuning techniques.

The first thing I need is advice. Should I buy or rent?
    I live in Boston, so which of these bass/amp offers sound good?

http://boston.craigslist.org/search...r amp&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=&sort=rel

How do I even start? Should I just teach myself to play or I do need lessons?

Man this is exciting! Long road ahead.

:hyper:

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Buy a decent bass and get it set up properly. Then go get some lessons

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

You know, in my youth I played my share of video games , played sports, but music and art were by far more important to me. It has the ability to affect my emotions (yeah, teenage angst can easily be avoided or magnified depending on the music you play).
    Nothing like creating something that is truly yours.
    Now in terms of advice, I would recommend going to a music store and trying out some basses to see what best suits you. Ibanez basses for one are usually easier for beginners to use off the bat as the necks are narrower in general. You can try and ask the person at the music store for opinions. Also, there are beginner's kits available that has everything you'll need to start out with - bass/amp/cords and sometimes even a DVD. Don't really recommend those as the amps are usually crappy.

I never took lessons btw, I don't believe it's necessary if you're properly motivated and have a good ear. I used to play a song and just try to follow it best i could. I think I started with Smoke on the Water lol... this was quite some years ago in the eighties. Keep listening and playing and you'll find yourself developing that musical ear. If you find yourself having a hard time starting off, then maybe a few lessons might help. Just get over that beginner's hump and you'll be fine.

4. pfox14

pfox14

I highly recommend getting lessons. I have studied with some really great teachers back in the day and it was essential in my becoming a better player. I would also recommend getting a bass "starter" kit - bass, amp, chord - the works. Try out your local GC and see what they have to offer. Best of luck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Never turn down the chance to play with other people. That's where you will learn more than you can imagine.

7. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Isn't Bass another form of language? IMO it is. I've never had lessons I just listened to what I liked, got the tab for it and played it just like learning to speak. There are some general rules when learning a language such as I before E except after C ect. But nobody got on you for trying to speak words as a child. Same is true with the Bass. Don't be afraid to "learn the language". You will make mistakes, but we all do! Good luck. Let me know if I can help in any way just message me!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Rent a nice bass! It is cheap and if you quit in six month like 90% of players you can just take it back to the store and forget about it. If you find yourself still playing in six months, skip the entry level garbage and buy yourself a nice bass. A low quality bass can make it harder to play and be less encouraging to a beginner, plus having some playing experience before you buy allows you to buy what you would actually prefer to have in your first bass.

I would also highly recommend getting some lesson from a respectable teacher, one that knows theory and such even if you do not want to learn it. Many teachers are just scam artist who do not teach you anything except how to play songs, those are useless lessons and just take your money.

9. Markent17

Markent17 Supporting Member

I recommend obtaining the best quality you can afford. While you may find that you simply don't want to continue the journey, a poor quality bass can make you give up before you should. Also, better quality will have better resale value. But the biggest reason to buy the best you can afford is that as you continue to improve, your bass and other equipment will keep up with you. Lower quality will quickly disappoint as you improve. Buying Top quality now will result in a lifetime of use if you properly maintain it.

I also recommend finding an instructor

10. ZenG

ZenG

I wouldn't go straight out and buy a bass guitar.

Go to a place that sells them that has a good rep.

Try out some different basses.

Note how some are very neck heavy where others aren't

Neck dive can be a pain....

See how it balances on one knee/thigh

See which style of neck you like :- Jazz, P or Ibanez

See if you like short scale or longscale neck

Sound....try it out through a half decent amp.

Don't let the sales guy sell you any old piece of crap.

You are getting married to your bass....so do you want an "arranged" wedding or one where you get to decide on the bride.......?

Buy the best bass you can afford.

I don't care what they say......cheapo basses are cheapo basses and they're cheapo basses for a reason......

The style of music you have in mind could also determine your purchase

It's no use asking a metal-head which bass to buy if you are going to be playing chamber-music for example.....

Cheers....