1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NEW AT THIS....NEED A LITTLE ADVICE PLZ!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by B Major, Jan 7, 2014.

1. B Major

B Major

So I've only been playing a short while and need some help with my head/cab setup... I was given a Peavey cab (15 in speaker/1000 watt) and replaced the old speaker with a brand new Peavey black widow 1502. Both the cab and speaker are 1000 watt/4 ohm. I tried to power it with a TC Electronics BH250 head (250 watt) but it sounds awful.... I figured since I live in a condo I don't need it to be super powerful (right now), so the 250 watt head would have worked. Apparently I was wrong... My question is, what is the least amount of watts my head should be to power what I have and still sound good??? I was trying to get away without spending too much money but now, just need to know the least watts I need so I can make a better decision. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thx!!!!

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I wouldn't jump into the fire for this, but I am pretty sure there is no such single 15inch driver capable of 1000Watts at 4 Ohms. Especially not from Peavey.
    There must be something terribly wrong. That TC head should work and give you a descent sound

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'm betting that's "peak" rating.
    Even still, I do agree that something is terribly wrong. 250w into a 1x15 should get pretty loud. Can you post a picture of your EQ settings? Can you try the head with other cabs (maybe take it to a local guitar center?) to see if it is the head or cab maybe having issues? If you have an active bass, have you tried changing the battery? It could be so many things and we're not given much information... can you elaborate a bit please?

4. B Major

B Major

Yea I'm just going on whats written on the back of the cab. At first I thought the speaker in there was blown so I replaced it. Once I did that the sound was still awful so I imagined it had to be the head.... I'm just getting pretty frustrated with it and I'm new at this so no prior knowlege, really......

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B Major

B Major

Yea the bass sounds fine on my little ******** combo amp. Have not tryed the head on other cabs but I will def try that at GC and see whats up, thx..... I'm at work now so can't post pics but will try to later.... Thx for the help though!

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Sure thing. Can you describe "awful" a bit more? Is it distorted? Lacking low end only (so all mids/highs) but still "clean"? Just no volume?

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Is the replacement speaker a fit (science wise) for that particular cab? If not that very well may be the problem.

Generally speaking when it comes to bass cabs, you can't just put any ol' speaker into a cab and expect it to sound good. The cab is generally designed around a particular driver. Internal volume, porting, etc. are all taken into account.

9. B Major

B Major

No the volume's there but not like it should be. As I get louder it sounds worse (almost blown). Its like Plucking the open E (more so than the rest, but the rest still do it)sounds like its trying to push the sound but kind of farts-out. Like I said I'm new to this but it def dont sound right at all. It sounds blown when turned up at all or just weak when turned down.....

10. B Major

B Major

Yea I actually called peavey and this was the speaker they suggested using so I bought it brand new and replaced...

11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Personally, I'm starting to lean towards it being more something in the cab than the amp - though it could still be both (massive boost in lows can easily cause this, even at low volume). As above, it could be just a very poorly matched speaker to the cab. [DEL]I'm curious why the speaker was replaced. Was the old one actually bad? How was the new speaker chosen? If it's the same make/model as the one that came out, you should be OK.[/DEL] <-- scratch that, I see your reply above mine.

12. B Major

B Major

Yea so I only replaced the speaker cuz my original thought after hearing it powered through the head was that it was blown. I assumed the cab's electronics were good as it powered w/out issue. Like I said it was given to me so I haad no clue about the speaker so I just replaced it but the sound is no better.....

13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Something is wrong - and it's probably not the BH250 head.

Do you know anyone with another speaker cab you can try the head with? (or another head you can try with your speaker?)

There are many, many BG250 combos out there that are basically the BH250 head with a 4 ohm 15, and they don't sound "awful".

14. B Major

B Major

Thx. Yea I'm going to start mixing and matching my gear to see what works and what dont. It'll be easy for me to briing the head to a GC and use a cab. Checking another head against MY cab is tougher but thx for the advice!

15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    In theory you can take your cab to GC as well and just do the usual "check in" at the front door. I've never done that though. I've seen cats bring in whole rigs to A/B and try basses through. I would suggest doing this in the middle of a work day though - GCs seem to be slowest then, so you'll not be dealing with more people on the floor.

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Could be your speaker cable. It's not a guitar cable, by any chance?

17. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

So speaker with head sounds bad, replace the speaker and it still sounds bad. Bass sounds fine with a different rig. That leaves a bad amp head or improper/defective speaker cable. I don't care who made the amp head or speaker cable they can have defective units. If you are using an instrument cable from the head to the cab replace that NOW and retry. If it still is bad with a proper speaker cable that points to a defective amp head.