New B15N connected to B15R

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by northbynorth, Mar 15, 2014.

1. northbynorth

northbynorth Ampeg Portaflex Club #410 Supporting Member

Hello...
    I was wondering if anyone had thought or knowledge on running both the B15N (new) and a B15R (90 model).

This is mentioned in Manual:
    EXT AMP: This feature was originally designed as a means to daisy-chain two or more B-15N amps together for additional power. This new-and-improved Heritage B-15N could also be used as a line out to feed an unbalanced Hi-Z input such as a direct box or a mixer.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. rodl2005

rodl2005

Surely as they're both all tube amps you'd need a load on BOTH amps?? So a correct impedance cab attached to both would be needed.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, you will need to run cabs with both heads, but basically it's that easy. Choose which preamp you want the most and run an ext amp out from it into the other amp.

4. northbynorth

Sounds easy, thank you!
    Seems that adding another B15 would be loader then just running another cab, is that correct? Also the B15R has a 100W switch, does this setting matter?
    I remember reading something about the B15R cabs being inferior in built. Not sure if that is right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah, adding 4x the wattage plus another cab will get you a sizable volume boost. The 100w switch is for running it at either 100w or 50w. Cabs...inferior built is a question of taste. I never played one so I can't tell you my opinion, but I've never heard of a bad sounding B-15, even the R.

7. northbynorth

I really like the like the B15R, It is pretty different from the B15N on either 64 or 66 setting. Hard to say what one is better. Both amps sound pretty amazing. Want to check out the vintage 60's models and the B15 heritage, no make that all of them now.

By the way, they work great together. Today was first chance at getting this going, just got the N yesterday. I only tried running out EXT from the B15N into the Line In on the B15R. sounded pretty load, I am guessing nothing like SVT load, but load. All tone seemed to come from the B15N and controls on the B15R had zero effect.

Going to run the out of the B15R into the EXT of the B15N tomorrow to see what I like best. Again it maybe a call that is hard to make, really like qualities in both of these.

Jimmy , Think your correct no bad B15's

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Another option. Plug into one amp. Then run an instrument cable from the other input on the same channel to the instrument input on the other amp. You will be using the pre-amps and power amps of both amps.

Using the ext amp jack, you are using the preamp of one amp to drive the power amps of both amps.

9. northbynorth

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I think you should change your screen name to "Dude Who's Having Way More Fun Than Any Of You."

:D

11. northbynorth

LOL -
    I'll send pictures soon.

12. northbynorth

Much loader this way Beans and Toast. Thanks! May complicate tone settings a bit. I have to find a place they both complement each other now. Dialed them in to what I thought was ok but need more time.

Jimmy,
    I have seen a few of your post with gear pictures. I still have a way to go to before changing my name.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    But I only have one B-15...

:D

14. beans-on-toast

Thank Jimi Hendrix. I saw him doing that.

Starting with the tones flat (around noon) is a good baseline. But the amps are different and you'll hear the differences between the two. Differences in loudness might make you like the setting on one amp more than the other. So working to dial them in at a low volume might help. But it will take some time to get to know the amps when working together and figure out what sounds the best.

15. northbynorth

16. northbynorth

Should I go to The AMPEG PORTAFLEX CLUB or can I sign up here?

Thanks Again for all the help!

Attached Files:

17. beans-on-toast

By all means, post the pic in the PF thread. I think that people would like to hear what you tried and how it is working for you.