NEW BAND SEVEN TRAIN

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

A review of the album.

In the fall of 2012, Seventrain first performed together at a memorial show for close friend, Vincent John Crudo (a.k.a. “Big Vinnie”), a sound technician and bass player from Southern California. The original intent of guitarist, Eric Horton, who played in the power metal band Cage, was to put together a group of well-respected local musicians to do some cover songs for the event. An undeniable chemistry inspired the group to stay together and record the new material that Horton had been writing with vocalist, Jon Campos.

Seventrain is a relatively new five-piece hard rock outfit with a sound that can best be described as blues metal. This eclectic band features seasoned veterans that have enjoyed varying degrees of success with previous bands. In addition to Horton and Campos, the rest of the lineup features drummer Joel Maitoza (24/7 Spyz), guitarist Jef Poremba and bassist Steve (Dino) Andino.

After going into the studio to record last spring, Seventrain’s self-titled debut album was released this February. The sound of the album is distinct not only because of the various backgrounds and influences of each member, but also because, unlike most modern hard rock recordings, it was tracked in analog with no use of auto tune or pro-tools, and only limited effects. The end result is a stripped down rock record with a timeless sound that harkens back to the 70’s and early 80’s.

While there is no obvious single that necessarily stands out above the others, every song on Seventrain’s debut album is rock solid and features outstanding musicianship. Every member of the band shines in their own right, which is something that isn’t very common nowadays.

Seventrain is bluesy metal at its best. From gritty, powerful rhythms to guitar harmonies and shredding solos, Seventrain delivers a unique brand of eclectic hard rock. Fans of great musicianship will not only appreciate the dynamic guitar offerings, but also the musicality of an impressive rhythm section whose contribution goes well beyond providing a solid foundation to build upon.

Campos’ vocals are ideally suited for Seventrain’s sound. From the moody, slower moments to the powerful wails, Campos uses everything in his arsenal to capture the emotions of each song.

Fans of King’s X will instantly feel a connection to Seventrain from the first vocal harmony to the last. While King’s X is the most obvious influence, fans of bands like Alter Bridge and Badlands will be drawn to Seventrain’s sound, as will those who are fans of guitarists like Zakk Wylde and Ritchie Blackmore.

Seventrain’s debut album is available on iTunes and Amazon. If you are a fan of timeless hard rock music, take a ride on a musical journey with Seventrain.

See audio clip http://hardrockdaddy.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/hard-rock-bands-under-the-radar-seventrain/
  4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

They put out a video.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. djbass28

djbass28

This is a cool band. They remind me a bit of Soundgarden.
  7. edpal

edpal The hell you say!? Gold Supporting Member

I thought the comparison to Kings X was an insult to Kings. Nowhere near the vocal range was displayed that Chris Cornell of Soundgarden possesses. The music also didn't compare at all to those two bands - this is basically classic southern rock. The singer's voice is a little too smooth for the genre....wish he had a bit more dirt. And why did they mention Zack Wylde in comparison to this lead guitarist - not even close. Sorry, I hear that **** any weekend, at any bar. My $0.02
  8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I don't know why they mention King's X. I don't hear it. I guess the long hair guitar player is into them. Personally I think King's X blows satanic goats.
  9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Don't knock satanic goats if you haven't tried em.
  10. edpal

Yeah, myself and thousands of King's X feel the same way about you :spit: :beaver: Seven Train has none of this, not a prayer. . .
    This man was my inspiration to get a 12 string!:woot:
  11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

STOPIT! Kings X bords me to tears.
  12. nukes_da_bass

I'll take Kings X for $1000.00, Alex.
  13. edpal

Their bass player makes you feel that bad, huh?
  14. nukes_da_bass

Ed- that was the best 12 string tone ever! Positively crunchy.
  15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Really cliche post hair metal generic hard rock. There is nothing remotely interesting there. 5 guys left over from the 80's who never got the memo that it's over.
  16. edpal

It helps when you say who you are referring to. I'll take it you are referring to Seven Train since they are 5 piece.....King's X is all the more impressive for being a 3 piece. I feel bad for the singer - his voice is decent, but way too smooth for the genre of the instrumental portion. Basically he is a "less handsome" Jon Bon Jovi clone. I have the same problem - higher tenor, smooth with insufficient "smoke & whiskey" grit. Frankly that guy's look and voice would go better over in a slightly "outlaw" modern country band.

Ain't it though!! The sound of a tazer being activated :woot: I have that same 12 string but strung BEAD - run that prick through the Big Muff and slay mere mortal guitar players.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  17. nukes_da_bass

What are you using for cabs? Friedland used to warn about 12 string basses and what they can do to speaker cones back when he wrote for BP.
    A BEAD 12 er is giving me GAS Now!
  18. edpal

.....the tech articles on passive vs. active pickups actually led me to cancel my subscription to BP after writing them a few times in disgust at the imo glossing over on technological differences. But I digress. I have 2 Mesa Boogie Powerhouse cabs, each of which have 4X12 +1X15. SVT 7-Pro for power. Honestly, I don't think they are particularly hard on speakers - how is what they are throwing down any different than running guitars and bass through a PA cab? Assuming some sensible passing to a sub where appropriate. My alternate rig is my active sub getting the pre-amp out, high-passing everything over 120hz back to my Eden 2X12. 2 small cabs, thick & chunky bass.

No good music stores around here so at one point I owned the Dean 12, the Hamer 12 and a Waterstone Ozone =- strictly so I could A/B them. The Dean got cut - not because it didn't sound just as good as the Hamer, just didn't have the same good looks and feel. A Waterstone is nice but my Ozone is freaking heavy...13 lbs+
  19. edpal

Loving MBP's new avatar....
    Fat Steve likes this.
  20. edpal

...was asked via private conversation what I do for strings onm the 12 string bass tuned BEAD. I buy a 5 string set of choice, setting top string aside. Then I use 2 sets of piccolo-bass strings(D'Addarios, round-nickel) for the chorus strings. Bamm!!
    I'd suggest you get the action low for the drone strings, since they deform your finger-tips/pads the most, making the chorus strings harder to fret. If you're already playing 12, you know this.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014