New bass amp tips

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mpgingersom, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mpgingersom

Mpgingersom

Hey there! I'm new om the forum, so go easy on me! :)

I'm thinking of buying an new amp, which I can use for practice and maybe small venues, but most venues I play at use their own gear with huge Ampeg stacks. I'm a little short om cash and I'm from Norway and everything here costs alot more! So in dollars I got 827 (5000NOK) and that gets me very little from the good brands like Orange, Ampeg, Hartke and so on! So I was looking at a Laney RB9 and RB410! Is this trustworthy? Will be used 95% at practice like I said before! :)
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Laney is good solid equipment. Do yourself a big favor and be sure to audition the new Fender Rumbles that are just now arriving in Europe.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Welcome to Talkbass!

See if you can find used gear. There is such an active music scene in Norway. Certainly some Norwegian bassists are selling good used gear. You can get a lot of quality and performance for less by buying used.
  4. Mpgingersom

Mpgingersom

Thanks guys! Yeah, I live all the way up north in Norway, so hard to find :-/ Came by a Hartke 500W cab and top for the same price, but I just missed it and it was sold!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mpgingersom

Mpgingersom

I changed my mind! We got some cash rolling in really soon, so I'm thinking of just buying a top now and cab later. The cab I'm thinking of buying is either Orange, Ampeg or Hartke, so I'll go for one of those tops aswell! All these are at the same price range: Hartke LH500, Orange BT 500 or the Ampeg PF 500. Which one should I choose?
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    There have been some reliability issues with the Ampeg PF-500. Do a search and be the judge. The Orange stuff I don't know, but it seems to me to be more oriented toward over-driven type sounds. The Hartke heads, especially the 1000 watt one, has fans here. Hartke cabs, not so much.
  8. Mpgingersom

Mpgingersom

So I should go with an Hartke head and Ampeg cab?
  9. DogBone

DogBone

That would be exactly what I would do given the choices you have listed.

Do you have the chance to try these out before you buy?
  10. Mpgingersom

Mpgingersom

No sadly :-/
  11. DogBone

DogBone

I am partial to Ampeg, particularly the cabs. No contest there.

Already mentioned the PF500 got of to a rocky start with problems shutting down. Word is the new units have this issue resolved, so as long as you can get a NEW PF500 then maybe it will be fine.

If you can afford the PF 800 it may be worth the extra money for the extra peace of mind, they seem to be okay.

It's all a shame because all the Portaflex stuff sounds so darn good.

No experience with Orange heads, and I've never owned a Hartke head but the ones I've heard in other bands seem to have a good tone.
  12. Joenok

Joenok

Hi Mpgingersom!
    Where are you located?

I´ve got a Eden Metro that I might be selling shortly. I´m in Harstad.
  13. middy

middy

No issues with my PF500 after 6 months of rehearsals and gigs. And it's not even the latest revision. It sounds darn nice, too.

You can't go wrong with any of those brands, IMO. Too bad you can't try them out to see which you like better.

Those old Eden Metros are pretty nice too. Kind of heavy, but it goes down to 2 ohms, so you can add another 4 ohm 2x10 or 2x12. You might want to get back with Joenok. :)