New bass arrived - 1980 Godin Zeta Z1 (piezo) inside

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morf, Jun 9, 2007.

1. morf

morf

So yesterday I finally received my Godin Zeta Z1 with piezo pickup, and as promised, here are some pics (not great pics, but better ones to come).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Active electronics, 1 vol - 1 tone - high/low boost.

Here is a quick review to which I will add/change stuff as I spend more time with her:

Playability: Pretty amazing. The action probably couldn't be lower, 0 fret buzz, sustain to last for days. Spacing is 19mm at the bridge, and this bass seriously plays like butter. The neck feels tight and "condensed", by condensed I mean if I smacked you in the head with it, chances are you'd be hurt :)

Sound: Wowza. This bass certainly does it well. A very smooth, clear and detailed sound, even with bass boost, but it snarls just as well with a twist of the tone knob. The note detail is amazing, especially since this bass is EASY to tune perfectly, the tuning pegs do a great job to say the least. You really have to hear it to get a feel of the sound, so I'll be posting soundclips in the future.

That's it for now, I need to play it alot more to get a better opinion, but so far my mind is pretty much blown. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask 'em, I'll do my best to answer. :)

edit: Ok, here are the soundclips (FINALLY!)

Entre Dos Aguas bassline with tone on 1/4th and slight low boost

The Meters - Funky Miracle bassline with tone on full and slight low boost
  2. bmc

bmc

Love the thumb rest. I wonder if a Fender fretless neck would fit on that.

Does it sound like classic piezo with that almost brittle sizzling high end?
  3. morf

morf

Yep, thats exactly it :D

As far as fitting a JB neck on it goes, it seems to be the right size, 4 bolt neck, but I'd have to measure to be sure and compare with Fender's.
  4. Sorax

Sorax

I want one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. morf

morf

Yes, yes you do ;)
  7. *smb

*smb

Had to search to see if you'd started a thread - your avatar keeps catching my eye! That is a damn tasty looking bass. Any chance of soundclips? And with that thumbrest and no pickups how do you decide where to play? I bet its great for harmonics.
  8. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

awsome that things sweet.:bassist: how much do they cost?
  9. morf

morf

Yes I've been lazy, I will make soundclips soon. Thing is with the thumbrest being so long I can pretty much play wherever I want depending on what tone I wanna get. It's really comfortable anywhere. Harmonics sound very clear and defined, the piezo pickup definitely works well, each note is so easy to hear and differentiate, improvising is alot easier. Definitely a keeper :D
  10. morf

morf

I dont think Godin makes them anymore although you could probably get a custom order made. The retail price on these was 2000 euros, I got a huge deal and got it for 400.
  11. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

awsome thanks!
  12. *smb

*smb

It's mad really - normally I hate bolt-on necks, white in general, thumbrests, jazz bass bodies, string trees, less than 24 frets and Tele style headstocks but I find myself really wanting to try one of those!
  13. morf

morf

Thi is great for playing the blues. Its smoothier sounding than any bass I've played yet, sustain is great and the action is extremely low with absolutely no buzzing. It's a pleasure to play.
  14. Shoewreck

Shoewreck

Can't raise my lower jaw back... Awesome looks. I played a piezo-only bass with P pickups removed and a toothbrush used for thumbrest, but yours looks way better...
  15. morf

morf

lol, thanks
  16. ROON

ROON

Bahaha! :D
  17. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Nice bass. I like those tuners way more than the stupid ones Godin uses nowadays.

Oh, and incidentally...

[​IMG]
  18. morf

morf

Yep I've seen those acoustics before, nice one.
  19. infect

infect

Beautiful bass! :)
  20. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

It's pretty cool and has a nice, warm sound. Unfortunately, the upper strap button being at the 15th fret makes it a loooong bass.

And I'm a pretty small guy, so some things can be a bit of a chore... Like say, F, or B#, or...
  21. morf

morf

I kinda dig the strap button being there, it must keep the bass in a very good position.