New Bass Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Splintered Skul, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I have a project bass I'm building from a kit, and it came with an el cheapo bridge. I'm looking to get a new one but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a new bridge: just something good. It's a 4-string, 5-screw style. I'm looking at the Gotoh 201 and a Fender Vintage (which are the main ones I've found retail). The old bridge is styled similar to the Gotoh, and I think that would look best with the bass. Any comments on differences in playability (action, string spacing) between the two, as well as standard Fender bridges? Keeping my eye on the Classifieds
  2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Either will do the job. They are about the same price. One is not better than the other,. If the Gotah looks better to you than choose that one.
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

There are a lot of options for bridges out there... I am partial to the Hipshot A-Styles and the Fender HMV... both are affordable, and do a great job.. they are also small enough to fit most of the ashtrays (not sure on the split coil precision ash tray though for the Hipshot)
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Your ROTM Fender L plate is very popular and can be had for cheap if you stay on top of the used offerings. Look for the vintage model which features the threaded saddles, or get a (really cheap) used MIM bridge from the classifieds and then pick up a set of vintage saddles.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

7. phulcrum

phulcrum

I just replaced the Gotoh 201 on my warmoth jazz with one of these:

[​IMG]

I could not get low enough action with the Gotoh, I even tried raising the neck to help lower the action. I have this above bridge on my 98 American P/J and it is my favorite playing bass by far. It came stock on my 88 MIJ P bass, which also plays great. Now with this bridge installed on the jazz the action is perfect and it plays just as nicely as my coveted P/J. It's nothing remotely fancy and a steal at $30 (part #099-0804-100). If you want my Gotoh 201 though I will send it to you free. I never want to see it again.
  8. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

I actually already picked one of these up from a member here on TB. Just finished the bass and gunna be putting it on
  9. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

The saddles on the Gotoh 201 are BIG.

The saddles on the Gotoh 203 are stock size, and I am doing the switch on a couple basses.
  10. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Where can you find a screwdriver tiny enough to fit the saddle screws? I have a small one that works for the most part but it can't really adjust beneath the surface of the saddle. (Of course I haven't strung it up yet so I don't know if this is necessary)
  11. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Micro drivers at any hardware store. Like 5 bucks for a selection of Phillips and slotted drivers. Fix your specs with them too.
  12. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Cool I'll go see if I can find some then. Gracias