1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick303, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Nick303

Nick303

Hi Guys,
    I've just acquired a black p bass body to go with my spare Squier p neck, a totally blank canvas!
    Need a bridge, pickups, scratch plate, machines, wiring, the works. Might even rout it out to go for a p/j setup.

What would you do with it??
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If you really want to know what I would do with it...

P/J setup for sure. Add an under-bridge piezo too, with a nice buffer and tone control to go with it.

Stack V/V pot, Stack T/T pot,
    The I would add an onboard distortion pot (Just a couple diodes grounding out really) with bass/treble distortion bias in a stack pot.
    Then another stack pot for onboard Chorus (I have a simple one in mind) with wet/dry balance and effect control (as in amount of chorus)

Add on to that a separate output for the piezo and regular pickups and im set.

But... If I were you, I would go with the P/J setup, a volume for each, and a master tone. :D
    Other than that just match all the hardware, for black body, I would go with either gold, or black colored hardware.
  3. Nick303

Nick303

Ha! Someone would do that eh?!
    I'm going to keep it simple, and I love chrome/brass hardware.

Does anyone know if I can get a P scratchplate with a j rout to make it a pure J setup? I've seen one like that in sonic blue and it looked nice.
    I am a J player really.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Wish I could help with that part. Free bump! I guess. Hope sometimes can find that for you.
  5. Nick303

Nick303

Here's a few pics of the donor body, it's had a bit of a hard life so far. Anyone recognise the brand by the markings on the back?
    It seems to be fairly solid / heavy.
    I've marked it up for routing too, for the P/J setup.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  6. Nick303

Nick303

Added the new Hi Mass bridge, you can see I've routed out the P cavity some to take a J pickup. I've decided a full J setup is where I'm headed with this.
    Template for custom pick guard.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Spare pickups from my VM Jazz
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Routed and fitted bridge J pickup.
  7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Nice!
    Did you manage to rout that cavity with just the dremel??
  8. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Subscribed! The route job looks nice. Who are you having cut the custom pickguard?
  9. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Subscribed!!!

Why?

[​IMG]

That's why!

Did this one a few years ago and gave it to my son.

[​IMG]

The body is getting banged up so I bought the body in the first picture to replace it. We decided we'd rather make a project of this body and do something different, like a PJ with a jazz B&B neck
  10. Nick303

Nick303

Malthumb

Nice post, what a great gift for your son! Cheers for your interest in my project too.
    Yeah routed it today, drilled it first the get the correct depth and the ol' dremel did the rest what a tool! Took some planning in my head first though hehe.
  11. Nick303

Nick303

Oh and about the pickguard, that's where I'm up to really. Can't find a place in the UK, well I can but they aren't responding to my emails (grr), every suggestion will be explored :)
  12. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

I got the one for my son's P-Bass and an Amber Burst for my Music Man Sabre from pickguardheaven.com. They do great work. The Amber Burst can be seen by clicking the Music Man link in my signature.
  13. mrb327

Only places I know are Stateside. Consider making your own?
  14. Nick303

Nick303

Ok, thanks guys. Plenty to consider.
  15. Nick303

Nick303

Ok, I've settled on Pickguardian in the states to do my plate, Tony there has been really helpful and has asked a good price. All UK offers were way too expensive.
    In the meantime here's some pics of the template pickguard, I'm using it to position and build the wiring harness and also to make sure everything fits into the cavity. It doesn't, so there'll be more dremelling out later today. I taped up the guard shape to make sure I don't over-rout the space.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Starting to see how it will look now, I like it.
  16. Nick303

Nick303

Finally my copper shielding tape turned up, it is supposedly made with conductive adhesive so no soldering, let's hope that's true. First I taped the bridge earth into place and fed that through to the control cavity. Next I coppered out all the cavities as thoroughly as I could. I routed the earth wire between the 2 pickup cavities and tried to keep the bridge pup shielding job neat, it's not as neat as I'd like to be honest.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Just waiting for my Pickguardian plate to turn up next...
  17. Nick303

Nick303

Here's the headstock so far. The neck is from an Affinity, so maybe not a great neck but it feels ok. I dowelled and re drilled the holes to take proper heads and slightly re profiled the overall shape too.
    New headstock decal - deliberately unlike any real Fender decal, new rings and bar retainer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I briefly had some machine heads on there but they were very poor quality, not naming any names but I learned a valuable lesson.
    Any suggestions as to what I could get?
  18. mrb327

Schaller and hipshot make good tuners.

Digging the devil in the details as well.
  19. Nick303

Nick303

Ha yeah, I wanted some small print.
    Trouble is the holes are quite close to the straight edge, therefore I need heads with small back plates.
  20. mrb327

I would browse Ebay, if nothing else but for pictures to give you an idea of what might work. Some of the sellers are quite picture happy, to your benefit.