New bass came with scratched up pick guard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wetpaint4k0, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Wetpaint4k0

Wetpaint4k0

Hi, I just picked up my new bass from Guitar Center that I ordered during their Christmas sale.

The pickguard is really scratched up and I was wondering if I should be concerned and go back to the store or if it's normal to come like this.

I don't really know if I should be panicking/annoyed since it took like two weeks to get into the store. Thanks.
  2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

has it still got the plastic on?
  3. Wetpaint4k0

Wetpaint4k0

Nope, I checked.
  4. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

what bass is it? I'd probably take it back if it's supposed to be brand new
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wetpaint4k0

Wetpaint4k0

Music Man Sterling Ray34

... Yeah I'm disappointed.
  7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Sounds to me like someone re-boxed a floor model. Would I put it past them? Absolutely not!
  8. johnson79

johnson79

Ask them to replace the pg or for some cash back. I'm sure they'll help you out.
  9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

Bring it back to them, they will take care of it.

I went through 2 Fender Jazz's before I received the last one which was perfect.

When you pay retail, be picky.
  10. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Things like that are the reason I don't shop at Guitar Center.
  11. Wetpaint4k0

Wetpaint4k0

I just got back from returning it and having the guy order me a "new" one. He tried to pass it off like the material of the pickguard scratches really easily...

1. It's supposed to be new, I'm assuming this model would come with plastic on it.
    2. All the floor models had similar scratches.
  12. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

when brand new they have plastic on and an 'inspected' sticker on top of the plastic
  13. hhenry

hhenry

Double check the plastic if you still have the guitar. Twice now I have removed the plastic only to find what I thought was a scratched pickguard. Further inspection found that there was a second layer of plastic !! And a perfect pickguard underneath that.
  14. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Can you post a picture?

That would help us help you!
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    They grabbed it off the rack. Everyone knows GC has no stock in the back! GC sucks when buying 'brand new' basses/guitars.
  16. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

+1. My policy with GC is to either buy used or buy somewhere else.
  17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

+1
    My favorite bass was a used find at GC. Every new one I've ever considered there had something at the very least cosmetically wrong with it, if not completely f***ed up.
  18. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

To the OP:

I only owned ONE brand new bass from GC. Funnily enough, I ordered it online and had it shipped to the store. Everything else has been a used instrument.

Maybe you should return it and order from Musician's Friend or Sweetwater or somewhere else. GC has a good return policy at least.
  19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Did you get a great deal on it? If it's one of these issues where they want you to send the bass back or you're going to wait 2 months for a replacement pick guard, might as well chalk it up to experience and purchase a new one yourself. Maybe figure it as a chance to change your pick guard out and get a new look for your brand new bass :)
  20. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    You must have received a Euro model by mistake....
  21. Wetpaint4k0

Wetpaint4k0

Yeah, I'm thinking if the next one doesn't work out I'm just going to return it and buy it myself ($100 bucks off). But I did file a formal complaint with customer service mostly because I wanted to hear them say, "it should come with the plastic." Round 2 has already been shipped, but I don't expect much.

The only reason I bought this from GC was because of the sale. Lesson learned.