1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Bass Day! Boulder Creek Fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LakeEffect, May 23, 2013.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Brand new Boulder Creek Lined lined Fretless 5 (EBR3-N5F ) :D. Cedar top, mahogany back and sides, AB4-T preamp system (high, mid, low, brilliance) with built-in tuner.

Initial impressions, very very good acoustic volume, beautiful smooth neck and very effective preamp when plugged in.

I'll be swapping out the bronze strings for some LaBelle Deep Talking White Nylon Tapewounds shortly and spending some more time with it.

As for now, a few pictures where I've played it the most and a family photo with the Cajon drum I will be pairing it with on a new project.

Attached Files:

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Niice , that's the first bass in hammock shot on TB i think .
  3. LakeEffect

Haha, bought it to play outside, seemed fitting.
  4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Yeah, I sure liked my new BC Fretless 5er when I bought it last fall. My first A(E)BG model bass ever. It's a very nice looking bass.

But three things made me return it:
    1. The jumbo body just killed me to play it when I wrapped my right arm over the body. After a few tunes, my arm went numb.
    2. I got some feedback issues when rehearsing with my acoustic-latin jazz band when guitars/congas thru PA and my BG250 combo amp turned up the volume.
    3. More minor but I really prefer a unlined fingerboard.

Finally, I realized I'd prolly never make use of the BC bass unplugged. I did abit of rehearsing along with MP3's sitting in front of my PC speakers and they pretty much drowned out the BC bass.

It was louder with those Bronze strings it came with but I just hated the feel of them. I bought and installed some new D'Adarrio Black Nylon Tapes for the BC and it gave it a real nice tone and those strings felt great on my fingers. With the Tapes the feedback issue got abit better. But was still there at louder volumes.

Before I returned the BC bass; I put the bronze strings back on the it. I installed those black Tapes on my Am St P5 and I'm really diggin them on the P5 now. Just before I returned the beautiful Boulder Creek bass, I had ordered a Godin Ultra A5 fretless which is the bass I really wanted in the first place. So I was able to A/B the two basses.

The Godin,for me, is just such a better playing, good looking bass. At about twice the price of the BC it should be. And it plays more like an elec bass than a acoustic bass, which is what I really needed. The thinner body is a breeze to play; its a bit heavy feeling but I love the thin neck too. Unlined board with fret markers along side the neck. The Godin came with Chrome flats which are fine. But I ordered some White Nylons too for it and they are very,very nice strings.

I really wished I would have kept the Boulder Creek Ftless 5 as it, at first, was fun to play before the sore arm issues arose. And I may just order another one day just to have it around. Hopeful they will make them with unlined board by then. ;)

@LakeEffect, enjoy that BC bass. Its a real good looking bass and sounds like you're getting good use out of it already. Peace, ernie
  5. LakeEffect

Ernie, yeah I completely understand that. It is a pretty circumstantial type purchase for me.

I'll be traveling a lot this summer on various camping trips with a my lady who plays the cajon drum so I wanted something to accompany me in the wilderness with at least some acoustic volume (no guitars to compete with, so it works well for that). Otherwise, I'm usually stuck indoors at school or the office (grad school life) so frequently that I really didn't want to have to make choices this summer regarding whether I want to spend my free time outside or playing bass. Plus when the lady and the new pup are sleeping I can have something to still play in the apartment.

All in all, the instrument is clearly not suited for everyone's purposes, but it fits the bill exactly for mine. I don't find it too uncomfortable, but I also like playing with my thumb too, so that allows me to "wrap" may arm around it at a different angle (more akin to hugging the instrument more horizontally instead of trying to play on top of it), again, just different strokes.

The Godin looks awesome though! That really is the only other bass that gave me pause, but it was just out of my price range and I needed at least some acoustic volume (plus, I'm also new to fretless so I appreciate the neck lines, for now). Glad your impression with the BC was a good one and you found something in the Godin you like!
  6. basslivesinside

basslivesinside

Have had great results with my Bass. I am looking at grabbing the Koa Boulder Creek now. I found it at loviesguitars.com for a very good price. Cant wait to get it!.
  7. basslivesinside

basslivesinside

I purchased my Boulder Creek Bass a few months ago. I got the EBR3-N5. That is the Cedar top 5 string. The bass has an amazing tone. I am really impressed. Reminds me of my old Tacoma but a bit louder. My buddy has a monster acoustic bass collection and always raves about the Boulder Creek line. I purchased mine from Loviesguitars.com. Every Boulder Creek bass they had was at least $50-$100 cheaper than anywhere else I found. I am playing through an Ampeg and it sounds even better plugged in. Also mixing live is super easy with the dual outputs. Only thing I did not like was that is comes without a case. So I talked to the dude at lovies and he discounted one heavy I would recommend these basses to anyone.
  8. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

I just ordered the EBR3-N5F from Lovies.
    I have a Breedlove 4-string which is really good but I wanted a fretless 5er for an acoustic situation I'm doing on Saturdays.
    This is my first fretless but I think I can get it figured out with a little practice and concentration.
    If I like it I'll probably try some chromes on it.
  9. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

I got the new bass yesterday. It seems like a pretty good bass. I like the fretless and having the low B for certain applications.
    I'm definitely changing out the roundwounds for flats.
    The only thing I'm not too happy about is that Lovies shipped me a bass off the floor. Or so it seems because the strings had grime in them and the fretboard had some scrapes from the roundwounds. I should have specified "Please send brand new in the box". I'll be calling them today about that but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
  10. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

I used the BC fretless on stage Saturday with tapewounds on it. I adjusted pretty quick to the fretless and even switched between 4-string fretted and 5-string fretless for different songs. I like that the fretless has the dots where the fret would be instead of between them like the fretted bass. This helped me adjust quickly and keep my bearing during the songs. Our BL was blown away and very happy with the buttery tone I was producing from the BC. The EBR3-N5F killed it!
    Concerning the less that brand new condition, Lovies has taken very good care of me and fully compensated for any shortcomings. I won't speculate on what happened but Derick is a stand up guy and I would recommend them to anybody who asked. They have some pretty nice guitars on their website.