1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Bass Day: Fender American Special Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocksmoot, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

I talked about this bass in the thread about price = quality, thought I'd post a bit about it here.

I went to a music shop, saw this 2012 American Special P bass on the wall. I really dug the rosewood board but wasn't such a fan of the Olympic white at first. The owner offered to let me take it home for a week to try it out, and when I plugged it in I immediately knew I had to have this bass. Gigged with it last week and it just filled the room with chewy bass goodness. Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These basses are wonderful for the price. And I'm beginning to truly dig the Olympic white.

Edit: added more pics

2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Looks sweet! And I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to tell you to Tort that Guard! Just not me. I'm not a big fan of tort, myself. :D

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Nice, congrats! The neck on the American Specials feels great, imo. Just wide enough, but thinner front to back than some of their other offerings. Enjoy!

4. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Yeah, the neck is pretty awesome, but the sound is just killer. Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Sweet, just got a honeyburst Special myself and I'm really happy with it.

7. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I REALLY like these basses. Congrats.

....and I'm officially jealous!

8. leadfingers

leadfingers Two decades of lead guitar before finding my way. Supporting Member

Congrats! Very nice!

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Very nice - congrats!!! IMO, Fender has been putting out some nice basses for quite awhile now...

- georgestrings

10. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Congrats, it's a great bass. I was never a huge fan of P basses (always fancied myself as a Jazz guy) but I really love the feel of the American Special P. So much so, I bought one as well.

11. Nobody

Nobody

Congrats! I'd like to try one of those to see if the neck is slim enough for my tastes.

12. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

My current band calls for flats, which sound very thumpy and warm on this bass, with just a massive low end. The stock rounds sounded really very good too, with a nice Dave Hope ring to them. I bought this bass because a Squier VM PBass just wasn't doing the job. The Squier recorded very well, but just didn't have that all-encompassing warm bottom that this one has.

This bass has the grease bucket circuit which I know very little about. Anyone care to comment on the difference between grease bucket and non-grease bucket tone?

FYI, I play this bass with no effects into an Ampeg PF800 and a GK 410 NEO.

13. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Width-wise it seems slightly narrower than a standard P, but the thickness is less than my VM Jazz. It's very slim.

14. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

You got it for the feel, but you'll stay for the sound.

15. BxBomber

BxBomber

How would you say it compares (tone, feel or whatever you think differentiates it) to an American standard Precision? Looking to add a P to the stable within the next month or so. Was just going to focus on finding the perfect (for me) standard but maybe I should consider one of these as well. Thanks!

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats, that's a classic beauty!

17. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Semi-stupid (or maybe just full-blown stupid) question: OP says it's a 2012 model, but the serial number says it was produced in 2011. Does Fender do 'model years' the same way automotive companies do (i.e., 'model year' precedes calendar year of same name by a few months)?

I'm only asking because I bought a P-bass with a similar serial number a few months ago and have assumed all along that it is a 2011 model.

18. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

I'm not able to make that comparison, but with flats it has a very convincing Motown sound, maybe just a bit warmer than the bass on "I Was Made To Love Her" by Stevie Wonder (I was playing along with that tune this morning.)

Crank the treble and it got as close as flats can get to "Song for America" by Kansas (which I was also working on.) Even with the flats the sustain was right there. Mind you, it didn't have that sharp ringing attack, but with some rounds and a pick I could probably get pretty close to that sound.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on a very beautiful bass and I have two basses with the grease bucket circuit I like it there is a certain something that I find hard to explain I know most people don't care for it but I really like it.

20. Nobody

Nobody

COOL! Now all I need is money..... that's going to be a problem...

21. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Cool, thanks for looking it up for me! It may well be a 2011 model, the owner told me it had been in his shop for eight months (which is why I assumed 2012), but he might have been blowing a little sunshine my way. I dickered for a pretty awesome discount as it was.

The tag didn't have a year on it, and yes, it had all the plastic and stickers and stuff on it, so it's been there a while. I'd go with what the serial number says. Hey, it's a year closer to vintage status already!