New Bass Day G & L M2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jon5252, Apr 12, 2014.

1. jon5252

jon5252

OK, I couldn't help but say it but my new G&L M2500 arrived today. Purchased from Music Store Live- natural swamp ash with rosewood board, gloss finish.
    My reason for writing- I bought this bass after watching Ed Friedland's review on Youtube. He seemed pretty high on the bass, and since I was looking for a fiver I thought I might take a chance on one. I don't believe there is a local dealer in my area, in fact unless you want to play a Fender there really aren't any dealers at all. I have to say I am really surprised how nice this is for the money. In fact, I would go so far as to say I have owned other custom basses I have spent a lot more money for that don't seem to be as good an all around bass as this is.
    The bass is light, playability is excellent right out of the box. The Pleked fingerboard is great and there are all kinds of sounds in it. I don't think this is just being enamored on the first date. My conclusion is G&L could be doing more business if they were a little more aggressive about promoting their product. So I have delivered my testimony to the masses, and would certainly recommend one of these to anyone looking for a really nice versatile five string bass.
  2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Congrats man, but we gotta see some pics! Want to try one of those things out soooo bad!
  3. Goldmember

Goldmember

Ash ve shay in Holland:
    Geen foto, geen gitaar!
  4. jon5252

jon5252

Will get some posted later in the day!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pjbassist

pjbassist

I agree we need pics!! G&L is hands down the most under-rated guitar maker around. Some killer options, colors, tones and products!!
  7. mbbassmojo

mbbassmojo

Nice! I've been eyeing a l-2500, can't wait to see this one. Enjoy!
  8. jon5252

jon5252

Couple of more to follow!

Attached Files:

9. jon5252

jon5252

Couple more for review.

Attached Files:

10. jon5252

jon5252

If you are into a Fender type bolt on bass I don't think you can beat this. My investment is less for this US made bass than I am seeing for many Korean and Chinese imports, and I really can't find a down side to this. Fit and finish is top notch, and every time I pick it up I like it more.
  11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Very nice indeed. If I were to invest in an M-2500 or an L-2500, natural swamp ash body with gloss finish is the way I would go as well. With the possible exception of a maple fretboard. :cool:

MM
  12. inate_hex

inate_hex

Nice bass. I preferred the sound of the m2500 over the l2500 in Ed's comparison video
  13. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Awesome score. I love my M2500.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Man is that ever pretty love the beautiful wood. I also think they make some of the nicest bridges in the business.
  15. jon5252

jon5252

Spent about three hours with it today. Will post some more thoughts after a bit more playing time.
  16. jon5252

jon5252

So I have had the chance to spend about 10 hours playing this bass. Here is what has happened.

First, a string change was in order. I read some place about someone putting a set of TI nickel wounds on theirs and really enjoying the outcome. Knowing this was in the works I ordered a set. The TI's were considerably lighter gauge so there was also about an hour adjusting string height, truss rod and intonation. Now have absolutely zero fret buzz, plays evenly and in tune all over the fingerboard. The TI's to my ear give the bass a more polished sound. I know I have heard this bass is more "conservative" than the L-2500, but what I am finding is you can pretty much make it sound as you want it to. I am playing in a jazz/rock guitar trio and really am beginning to think I can get all kinds of variety just by a little adjustment of the pick up balance.

Love the neck shape, everything is accessible and very comfortable. I would say I have become happier with my purchase as the last couple of days have gone on. My thoughts are if you want a classy sounding well put together bass you would have to spend a lot more money to accomplish more. My thinking is I have a new main bass.
  17. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Nice score! Wonder if they'll consider doing an ASAT model with these electronics?
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Nice bass! oozes class....

:bassist:
  19. BackonBass13

BackonBass13 Supporting Member

I've had my Tribbie M 2500 for about a year. Really nice bass. Love the natural option. Yours is beaut'. Enjoy!
  20. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

It might help if people knew the "L" stands for "Leo" (Fender). I certainly didn't before I started shopping for a bass. I had seen G&L guitars before - generally in "2nd tier" stores that didn't carry Fender - so I assumed they were just a "2nd tier" Fender clone.

Perhaps they should change their name to just "Leo?" (Sorry George...)
  21. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Congrats on the gorgeous M-2500! I've had mine for about six weeks, and agree it's just a phenomenal instrument, and I almost cannot believe the quality for the price I paid. It has a wonderful blend of warmth, clarity, flexibility, and classic MFD humbucker punch. I normally don't like active basses much and will probably remain a passive/vintage type generally, but the M-2500's pre sounds really natural, and I found it useful for a rock musical that required a couple of quick tone changes. I do wish it had a passive option, but only to deal with dying batteries, not so much for tone.

Speaking of dying batteries, the one flaw I've found is that the battery compartment cover on mine was too tightly fitted. I had lots of difficulty prying it off, so I sanded it down for a better fit. You might want to check this to make sure a mid-gig battery change won't be a hassle. G&L should adopt more modern quick change battery compartments.