1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NEW BASS DAY - GAMMA Beta (J-bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mallums, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mallums

mallums Supporting Member

This is kind of a "Thank you" letter to TBers out there that turned me on to GAMMA basses. I'd been reading about them on TB for a while and after seeing a demo of one of the GAMMA P-basses on YouTube () I was really intrigued. The bass just sounded so fat. It was hard to believe that you could get a custom bass that sounded that good for less than what you'd pay for a MIA Fender.

So about a week ago someone was selling one of the of the GAMMA BETA basses, the jazz model and I couldn't resist. They were basically giving it away so I had to bite. I knew the GAMMA P-basses sounded good, so I figured the J-basses would too.

HOLY CRAP!!! I couldn't believe what a beast this thing was...("uh...is?). I have a late 90's Stingray that booms, but this GAMMA stands right up to it. I was shocked that passive pups could produce this kind of punch. The whole bass is just rock solid. It has a beautiful maple/maple neck that feels super solid. Not to mention the thing is just gorgeous.

I've been in contact with the TBer who makes these basses, Joe Milstein, and he's been super helpful with any questions that I have about the bass. He seems like a great guy. I'm in need of a fretless replacement and I'm going to have him build it for me.

I'm not a professional bassist (but I did stay in a Holiday in Express last night! ..."sorry I couldn't help myself") so I'm not an expert by any means. However, I do know what sounds good and plays good and this freakin' GAMMA does both. I can't afford to drop a couple thousand duckets on some sweet boutique honey like I'd like to, but I also don't want to be stuck with some mediocre MIM, or equally lame, bass. Joe gave me a quote on what he sells his NEW custom made P-basses for and it was less than $800! That's insane for quality of bass he makes. If you can find one used they are even more affordable.

I know there a number of TBers who have spread the word about GAMMA basses and that was a big help to me. I just want to return the favor and add my voice to the crowd. GAMMA basses freakin' rock. I'm a fan.

Take a look at my new baby.

Attached Files:

2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Cool post. I've been rocking a Gamma J fretless for a few months and it is a joy to play.
  3. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben Supporting Member

I would rock that.
  4. Rocker47

Rocker47

Great news! Congrats! You are preaching to the choir with me! Haha! I have three Alpha basses and one delta Star(tele) guitar. My daughter plays the guitar. I wouldn't have them if they weren't quality made instruments. You are correct with the fact that the pick ups are unbeatable! The overall look, sound, feel and family treatment make it easy to keep coming back. You'll love the next one, and the next one, and....and....and.....
  5. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I love my Gamma Alpha fretless. That with my G&L SB-1 has pretty much cured my GAS.
  6. Dug2

Dug2

the white looks badass! congrats
  7. McThud

McThud

I am a twice blessed Gamma player; my first was a Retro Blue (think old cadillac blue) Beta with a beautiful bound amber-tinted maple neck. My newest, an October (shell) pink Alpha with a rosewood fretboard. Joey makes one hell of a bass, one at a time, and really gets to know his clients. Everywhere I gig, folks ask about my basses - and I love showing them off and preaching the Gamma gospel. I can't wait for the day I can take him to lunch.

Here's a link to some pics of those beauties (sorry - luddite that I am, I can't figure out how to embed a photo in a post)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1417988865084726.1073741834.1402365676647045&type=3

Cheers!:bassist:
  8. Dradder

Dradder

Is Gamma's Facebook page their only website presence? They look like really interesting basses, but prying info, pics, etc., out from FB is kind of a PITA.
  9. mallums

Dradder: I know that FB is kind of a PITA, but that's the best way to get to Joe and check out his basses. He's on the TB forums all the time so just look for Joe Milstein.
  10. mallums

Howard: Man! That blue Beta is a honey. I love that color and the vintage style neck.
  11. Dradder

Dradder

That's cool; you answered my question. Joe's limiting himself to FB wouldn't keep me from buying such a neat bass like that, but really, it seems a shame when there are cheap and even free alternatives for putting up a better website presence.
  12. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

I would have purchased my second Gamma if not for some unexpected family medical. I have posted how much I love my Alpha beast. It is solid and I would seriousely take it over any P bass I have had the oppertunity to play. It is a solid bass w zzee best customer service. Power professional build and a great sound..A+ Gamma Alpha!
  13. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

I think there is a site in process of being built.
    I am so pleased that everybody I have talked with via TB/FB/email notices the power in the pup's used in both the Alpha and Beta models. Anyway looking forward to a future purchase...Once we get back in the black:banghead::rolleyes::thumbup: