1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new bass day (neck is kind of sticky)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mpdd, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

so after over two years of experimenting i'm back where i was in the late 90s, ballsy vintage bass, mid wattage tube head, and 15 cabs

got this L2000 which i believe is an 83 that has a 1 and 5/8 nut width and the small metal battery cover about two hours ago at guitar center in pasadena, love the sound, love the look, but the back of the neck is a little sticky like the neck on my old gibson grabber

is this just the way these old mia basses are?

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Either rub it with scotchbrite pad or hard wax it. Sticky gone.
  3. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Yes. You'll get used to it.

You could lightly rub it with the finest steel wool to remove some built-up grime, but I wouldn't sand the finish off or anything drastic.
  4. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

thanks guys, i was somewhat concerned, but it seems like an easy fix now
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

I had an identical black 83 l2000 with a sticky neck. I just got used to it but the advice given here should alleviate that.

Funny thing is when i read the thread title i instantly thought about my black 83 l2000! Its about the only bass i regret selling.
  6. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i've had some pretty cool basses in the past but this thing is amazing, it's so easy to fret and the neck fits my hands perfectly
  7. Rocky

Rocky

Congrats on the new bass! I use Gibson guitar polish on laquer necks that are sticky, and although it may take a few applications eventually the problem is solved. The lable states that it contains trace elements of laquer, and I feel the finish is best left on the neck. Bare wood is more suseptable to weather changes.
  8. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i'll keep my eyes open for that polish, thanks for the suggestion
  9. Rocky

Rocky

Make sure its Gibson polish, the others dont contain laquer...
  10. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

thanks rocky