New Bass Day tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mizzou541, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

2. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I know that feeling!! Congrats

3. mizzou541

Yep...just a cheap pickup. Less than $400 total invested but always excited for new gear no matter how expensive it is. Reviews look pretty solid for the price and with the additions it will look great (IMO of course). We'll see how the electronics are once it's in my hands.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Looks awesome congrats and I heard they sound fantastic. I would ignore all the "electronics" talk I don't think Fender puts "special" pots in certain models they all come from overseas and pots are pots, wire is wire I can see a tonal change in the pickup but even that can be negligible and if someone can tell what kind of wires and pots are in your bass from the way it sounds I will bow down to them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mizzou541

And I've actually read really good things about the P pickup in these. Mixed reviews on the J but I almost always play with the two pickups pretty much blended 50/50 so I'd say it will sound just fine.

7. lustersilk

lustersilk

Please post pics after the stuff is on. I'd love to see them - thanks

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's going to sound beautiful and that new guard is going to look killer.

9. mizzou541

So I was supposed to pick up the package at the local shipping facility. I called first thing this morning because I wanted to run down there and get it. Guy seemed confused and a littled ****ed as well. The address listed for the hold is the air shipping facility but it was a ground package and he has no idea how that will work. Sounds like the package is out on a truck right now and will have to ride around all day and at the end I guess they're making a special trip over to the air facility to drop it off and hold. Not really sure what any of this means other than something will probably happen and I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow. :(

10. klejst

klejst

11. mizzou541

Update after stopping by the FedEx Air facility:

FE: Oh that can't be right because we would never accept a package like that. This is the air facility and that is a ground package.

Me: Well I've called the 800 number for FedEx twice and both times they've told me this is what should be happening. It is on a truck now and is to be dropped off here.

FE: But this is an air facility...not ground.

Me: I understand that and it doesn't make sense to me either but this is just what I've been told by two different people there.

I knew something would happen causing new bass day to be delayed :(.

12. mizzou541

Update: Finally got my hands on this last night. Went to FedEx and asked to pick it up. He said truck should be there by 6:30 at the latest (it was almost 6:00 at the time) so I said I'd wait. At 6:25 the guy asks for my tracking number again, disappears into the back, and comes back with the package which had been there the whole &#%$ing time.

Anyway in the short time I got to spend messing around with it last night I'm a fan. Like I saw someone else on here mention, the finish on the neck is pretty thick but it doesn't bother me. There is a decent hum coming from the bridge pickup though. P pickup is fine but the J has a pretty good hum as you turn it up. I never had experience with the original Jags but this sounds pretty familiar to me from reading here. Overall I'm a fan and for the price I still think it's worth it but the hum is a little disappointing.

Edit: Maybe the hum from the J is expected? I don't have experience with J pickups...is this normal?

13. mizzou541

Pics:

Got the new pickguard but bridge cover won't fit so still deciding what to do there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. eight0eight

eight0eight

The hum is to be expected with a single coil jazz pickup. If you'll be mixing it 50/50 with the P it probably won't be an issue. Might want to check out the cavity at some point as I'm not sure how the shielding is on these.

Guess the High-Mass bridge is a bit big for the cover. I definitely prefer these over the bent metal variety. This one looks just like my Squier Classic Jibe Jazz bridge which has been great.

Love the Tort on black look by the way. Looks great.

15. mizzou541

Thanks! Yeah I love black + tort. And the more I play this thing the more I love it. Great neck and great punchy tone!

16. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Single Coil Pups are susceptible to hum. They sound open and present and that is the the tradeoff.

In areas with out RF should be fine. In other places it will be annoying. If it bothers you, you can get noiseless replacement which is a humbucker in a single coil housing. Sounds a little different.

Live with it for a while, may not be an issue.

The ashtray ... return it, its a pain in the butt to remove to change strings or adjust the bridge. The bass is beautiful as is.

17. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

can you post pics of the back of the neck? that grain looks really straight. you might've gotten a quartersawn neck which is killer!

18. mizzou541

19. raphaeldc

raphaeldc

You did get a quarter sawn maple neck! Is that stock on this model?

20. mizzou541

IMO awesome value at 339.99. Neck is every bit as good (and maybe better) as my MIA Deluxe P.

21. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

not standard but not the first I've seen either. congrats. that's great!