New Bass(es) Day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeorock, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Got a 35" scale Drake Custom 4 string...love this bass! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386669029.015869.jpg
    I can't recommend Andrew Drake highly enough. Great craftsman and a great guy. I bought this bass to be tuned BEAD and it sounds very solid on the B string, but just for grins, I put a set of heavy gauge flats on in standard tuning as well. Digging that too, but have a feeling this'll be a round wound kinda bass for me. The pickups are TV Jones Blades. Very warm and punchy.

Packed up a few amps to take to my shop, so I could goof around on breaks. On my way, a buddy called and said there was a white '79 Peavey T-45 on CL for cheap...wound up grabbing that too :) ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386669497.803198.jpg

I set up 3 different amps. A Michael Pope MPP2 (used mostly for upright), a Reiner 6SL7 pre amp with a Peavey power amp and a Mesa M9. The Reiner (JGR) is also new and man, there may be a better clean tube pre out there, but I sure haven't heard it! The Drake sounded fantastic through all three amps. Big chunky lows and and good detail.

I was really shocked at how great the T-45 sounded. I have (and love) a T-40, but this bass sounds very different to me. Has an early Stingray kinda sound, to my ears at least. Great attack and growl.

Just wanted to share. That was a fun day :)

Attached Files:

2. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Here's the amps ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386670319.353590.jpg
    The 31 band graphic is just for loud upright gigs. Very problematic venue last weekend as the graph can attest to :)

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful basses I have a T-45 and love the sound of them.

4. dukeorock

Disclosures:

I'm really happy with it. It's also quite a bit lighter than the T-40, thank goodness!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. roninrindra

roninrindra

Beautiful and rare basses

7. dukeorock

Disclosures:

I think Drake has made less than 100 basses and no two are exactly alike. Mine was a collaboration, design-wise and for better or worse, is the only one of its kind :)