1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Bass for A Newcomer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nic97, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Nic97

Nic97

I'm a relative newcomer to Bass. I'm currently about six months into it, and will be sticking with playing. I'm currently figuring out where to go with a new Bass. Currently, I'm on a Squier Affinity Jazz. (Please excuse my poverty :p ) In the $300 range at the moment. Any input would we awesome.

2. logans59

logans59

What kind of sound are you looking for? The Squier VM Jazz basses are a favorite around here, along with the CV Jazz. Also check out SX (essex) at rondomusic.com While I've never tried one, they seem to be a great value for the money. There are lots of threads on here about all these basses and more. Just do a search

3. Nic97

Nic97

I'm looking for a metal/rock sound really.

4. logans59

logans59

Maybe try an Epiphone Thunderbird or a MusicMan S.U.B. The best thing would really be to just go to a music store and try out as many as you can and pick the one that sounds/feels the best to you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. paradog

paradog

Schecter, Ibanez, and maybe some sweet deals on all kinds of basses in the used bass forum!

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Personally, I'm a big fan of Precision/Jazz configurations, especially my Squier Standard P-Bass Specials because…

1. I like the variety of tones I get. It can be pretty aggressive when paired with the right kind of strings (Mad Love for the Ernie Ball Cobalts, by the way!), but if I want a smoother/beefier sound, I'll dial the jazz pickup down to zero to get the classic precision tone.

2. If you're used to a Jazz neck, it's right up your alley. The body is a Precision, but it's got a Jazz neck.

Basically, it's a "best of both worlds" bass.

Now, the Standard series was discontinued a few years ago, but if you're not looking for a particular color-style, it doesn't take much looking around to find a decent used one. I have two right now. One I got as a refurb for $250 from an eBay vendor and another from Guitar Center's used listings for $125. More specifically, it was $100, plus another $25 for shipping and a one-year protection plan (it's my beater/traveling bass, so I wanted a little insurance).

If your budget is $300, and if this is something you're interested in, you should be able to score one somewhere online, hopefully without too much effort.

8. Macrocosmcwh

Macrocosmcwh

I would tell you to most definitely look on Craigslist. I have purchased many great basses on there. If the sound you are looking for is more of a metal sound I have to say my first bass a Schecter 5 string was great. But one thing is for sure, if you plan on a drop D Schecter is a great bass. =) IMHO Good luck!