New bass head needed. Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stinggrey, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Stinggrey

Stinggrey

Currently playing with Stingray 3eq with an Ashdown 810 ABM.
    Got the use of a Kustom hybrid head which i dont care too much for. Have a budget of around £500 to buy a head. Through the Kustom i get a great sound bottom and mid range but struggle when playing anything near the top end.
    Can anybody advise is this maybe a settings thing and also advise on good heads around the £500 mark?? Thanks
    :help::confused:

2. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

£500 is about $840 USD. I have a new Carvin B2000 which only cost me $650 shipped free in the US. It has a surprisingly nice sound with lots of headroom and only weighs 13 pounds. I feel it sounds much better than many of those light weight 5 pound amps. I found their BX series to be too bright for me.
    You might also be able to find a used Mesa M6 depending on how much power you need.

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Since I live in Norway, I'm not sure what you can get for 500 pounds, but surely the Ashdown ABM500 falls into that price range, right?

4. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Here's something that has worked well for me and it's within your budget:
    Ampeg SVP Pro preamp 350 USD used- pretty available on here and on Ebay. Five tubes, absolutely killer ampeg SVT vibe.
    Crown XLS 1500/2000 power amp 250-300 USD used. Very easy to find, 10 lbs, great power,bullet proof.
    Gator 3 space rack Bag 75 USD.

So for about 725 USD you could have a great head that weighs about 30 lbs. It would also have 1500-2000 SS watts at 4 ohms and have a flexible preamp with a graphic EQ and the Classic SVT tone controls driven by five preamp tubes.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

If you are looking for Top End...Though the Lows are good too.

I recommend GK.

7. lexington125

lexington125

not sure how Aguilar prices are in your area, but in the USA, their Tone Hammer 350 and 500 heads sell for about $500 and $700. In addition to sounding great, and being absurdly light and small, they also have very simple, easy to understand tone controls without all of the crazy knobs that some companies load onto their amplifiers. The 350 particularly is about as basic and straightforward as you can make a bass amp head.

8. Stinggrey

Stinggrey

Thanks all. The SVT & Crown intrigues me except i not too confident on second hand ebay purchases due to once getting my hands burnt. A friend has recommended a tiny terror or the Markbass littlemark 111. Any opinions on these would be appreciated

9. moret

moret

Why not a Orange Terror Bass 500? Easily my first pick in that pricerange