new bass/microfracture question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by em0tion, Jan 5, 2013.

1. em0tion

em0tion

Hi guys,

I'm new here but this forum kept coming up while I was researching which bass I should get, so it makes sense to turn to you with this question:

I just got a brand new American Standard Precision Bass and decided to change the strings because the factory ones sounded horrible (I put in medium-sized flatwounds). However, I accidentally wound the E string too tightly because I'm an idiot and also because I'm kind of new to basses and have more experience working with guitars instead.

I heard a crack, and that's when I realized I had over-wound it. Anyway, I finished stringing the bass and tuned it. It sounds and feels beautifully now but I noticed a tiny hairline fracture in the body finish at the base of the neck (on the lower cutaway). I have no idea if it was there before I restrung the bass because I never examined it too thoroughly. I've read that these are normal, but is it possible I caused it by over-winding the E string? If so, could this in any way seriously affect the bass?

I'm not really concerned about the appearance or resell value, I just want to make sure this doesn't lead to a more serious problem down the road (especially while I still have the 30-day warranty in effect). And like I said, it feels great and sounds good to me so I'd rather not exchange it.

What do you guys think?

2. line6man

line6man

Exchanging the bass after you damaged it would be unethical.

It should be ok, however.

3. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

I would have to think if it wasn't in the the main line if the strings, but on the lower horn, it probably wasn't from the tightening.

If it wasnt from tightening, and its a bad crack, I would exchange it, cause a new instrument should be flawless from the factory.

4. em0tion

em0tion

OK, thanks guys.

It's not a bad crack at all. I'm going to keep playing it and see if anything sounds wrong, but if not I'll just hang on to it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

I had what sounds like the same kind of crack in the exact same place on my 2007 P-Bass I just got rid of. Mine came that way from Fender, presumably from the super-tight fit of the neck inside the pocket...no gap at all. The crack never expanded the whole time I had it, and I ended up forgetting about it.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If it happened while he was over-tightening the string, it's from the stress caused by over-tightening. How would it crack from anything else- does this seem like it's not related, to you?

8. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

He thought that there was a chance that it wasn't, he said he didn't notice till after he had strung up and everything, I've had instruments creak while tuning them, just happens sometimes.

I also had read it as on the lower horn, but I see he said lower cutaway now.

I'm just going off what he said, that he thought there was a chance that it was unrelated.

Without seeing the cracks exact spot, I don't think anyone could make a proper diagnosis, I tried to offer up a different point of view.

9. em0tion

em0tion

The crack is in the lower cutaway, starting from the joint between the neck and the body. It goes down a couple of centimeters and it's very thin. It looks superficial to me so I think it might just be in the finish.

Yeah, I don't know if I caused it or not, but since I can't be sure I guess I just have to assume that I did cause it. It's unfortunate, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of exchanging it.

10. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

And that would be in the main line of string tension, lol.

But, yeah, I think I know what your talking about. I have a squire p much the same. But sounds like you got an awesome bass man, I'm sure you'll enjoy it:)

11. em0tion

em0tion

Yeah, it's beautiful! I love how it feels, especially with the new strings. I guess the little crack will give it character. :)

I'm not really worried about it, I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks, everyone!

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I would have them replace it for the following reasons: The crack appeared on the lower cutaway, not on the E string side. I suspect there is a faulty joint that was undetected and had finish applied. When the faulty joint failed, it resulted in a crack in the finish. It's hard to believe that you could overtighten a string on a brand new 'flagship' bass and have the body crack. Now, it is probably not going to get any worse, but it might - you just won't know til it happens. At the very least, I would expect a hefty rebate. It's ridiculous to pay full street price for a flawed product. As a reference, I just bought a brand new 'blemished' American Deluxe Jazz for under $1200. As for my blemish? I think I have finally found it. It's a grinding pot.
    You might be in for a fight, or they might be gracious about it, but I would certainly make some noise about it.

13. em0tion

em0tion

Thanks, JoeWPgh. I'll take that into consideration.

14. Musicman20

Musicman20

This!

15. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Neck pocket cracks on Fenders are extremely common.

You state you heard a "crack". You wouldn't have heard this type of crack. They are hairline. You heard a creak probably from over-tightening. The string would break before you broke anything 99% of the time.

These types of cracks are 99% always finish cracks; bodies do not crack from this joint very easily. I have seen one in thousands and it was 40 years old. These cracks are caused by sudden humidity and temperature changes; once again, they are very common. It is a weak point on a Fender guitar. It is only in the finish.

A few scenarios that happened:

1.) It left the factory like that.
    2.) It happened in transit to the distributor.
    3.) The distributor caused it.
    4.) Enroute to you it happened.
    5.) You inadvertently caused it.

In any case, it is very common, superficial, cosmetic, unnoticeable, and under normal conditions will never grow or move. The only reason it will grow is through mistreatment (intentional or unintentional). This part of the guitar is a weak point in the finish. A drop or yank on the neck is another cause but that would obviously cause other issues. They are caused by the expanding and contracting of the wood underneath, flexing the finish. This is due to temp changes and humidity changes.

16. the wako kid

the wako kid

^+1

I see little cracks like that on bolt on guitars all the time,my squier P is like that.it won't hurt anyhting unless you deliberately try to make it worse,which you won't do.

stop tripping and enjoy the bass.