1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New bass? Or new amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackhawks55, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Hello!

I'm starting to get some pre-Christmas jitters and decided to just ponder what I should ask for. First off, I've been playing for about 5 months now, and I am very proud of what I've learned. My inspiration is Geddy Lee, I usually only play RUSH when I jam.

With that said, I am using a 20th anniversary Olympic white squire P-Bass. Everything on it is great, except the action that still is a tad high. I definitely want to hang onto this bass regardless of the decision I make at Christmas time. I had it set up at Guitar center about 2 months ago, new strings were put on, frets were cleaned very well, and some needed some leveling. I just feel like I can get much lower action so I can play a bit easier.

Weighing out my options, I would like to stay in the $300-$400 ballpark for an amp, or a new bass. I am looking into the Ampeg B115 series as it would be ideal for me. Currently not playing in a band, just playing independently, and occasionally with some friends!

As far as guitars go, I definitely want to get a Fender J bass. I hope I can save up some extra money and maybe even push my limits to $400-$500.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you! :D

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

What amp are you using now?

3. SidMau

SidMau

Sounds like your pretty happy with your bass. That being said, I got 5 basses before I realized I should've gotten an amp after the third - that's the only bass I play and I never play the one after (5 is in another country). So get a bass your happy with and then get an amp. If your happy with the bass you have, don't start buying others just cause you like the idea of having more. Get your gear well-rounded - bass, amp, maybe some pedals, etc

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

The " what's your amp" question is really important. Also an amp for what? Your bass is your bass is your bass, but we would need to know what the amp would need to do to know what to suggest

In general, $400 will probably get you a lot better gigging bass than gigging amp, but, as others mention, I'm not sure you need anoher bass. A setup from a real luthier may make it just right for you, and that will probably only cost $50 or so.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Go to a guitar tech and get it set up properly. Invest in a used amp if you can, or go with a combo.

For $300

TC Electronic BG250
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-bg250-250w-1x15-bass-combo-amp

Best deal for the money.
    Built in tuner, tube tone, TonePrint - you can download different effects using an app on a smartphone, beam it through your bass' pickup and it goes straight to the amp. It's got inputs for ipod and headphone out so you can practice quietly and it's got a DI out, so you can send your amp's signal to a PA mixing board.

7. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Using an Ibanez B15 right now. Not bad at all honestly for practicing, and I use a Vox headphone amp at night, I like it a lot as well. I think I am going to go with an Ampeg B110 for Christmas, and pick up a Fender next year around mid summertime.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate it!
    -Blackhawks55

8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Sounds like you need an amp being you're happy with the bass. Learn to do your own setups - it's not hard to learn. There are some good stickies in the "hardware/repair" forum.

On the amp I would only suggest using a separate amp/cab setup. Carvin has some really nice amps/cabs that aren't too expensive.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

That depends if you're more satisfied with your bass guitar or your bass amp. if you like your bass guitar but you're not satisfied with the amp you use, then you should save some cash for a new amp, or vise versa. I would suggest heading down to your local guitar center, sam ash, or any local music store in your area and try out some basses and bass amps and see which bass gear suits you well. that way it'll make your choice a lot easier.

10. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Went thru this to. Take your beater bass in to play it on the Ampeg you have your eye on. A good amp will make a decent bass better. This is how I test amps.

Then you have a known variable, as opposed to playing a store bass thru a store amp.

When you AB basses, use the same amp and settings you have at home.

Otherwise you will come home with a MM and an 810 Ampeg with an Ampeg head. Cuz that's what will sound good if you use all the good stuff in the store!