1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Bass or New Head/Cab? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ethanengland, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ethanengland

ethanengland

For that past 4 or 5 months I have been saving up for a new Bass Guitar and I have a little over 1000$ saved up. I currently own a squire jaguar bass and it has treated me well, but I feel it is time for me to upgrade.

Recently I had an offer from a friend to buy his ampeg bass head and his agular bass cab for really cheap. (625 for the head and 400 for the cab). I currently own a peavy 115 combo. so...

my question is: Do I buy a new bass or the new amp?

Here's a little about my stuff:

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass: 200$ (price I bought it for)
    Peavy 115 Combo: 300$ (price I bought it for)

Here's the stuff I could buy:
    Ampeg SVT Classic Head: 625$ (comes with new tubes)
    Aguilar 8x10 Cabinet: 400$

or a new fender P-bass
    Fender American Standard Precision Bass: 1200$

What do you think? I really want a new bass because well the jag is just not exactly what i want, but is the deal for the head/cab worth it?

Also if you have a moment check out my band solarsuit:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/solarsuit[/SOUNDCLOUD]
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Ooooohhh... the Ampeg/Aguilar will serve you well for many years no matter what your changing musical situation.

A new bass will sound just different (hopefully better) but not wildly different theough your Peavey Combo amp.

Your tastes in instruments will change more over time, but that amp/cab will be a great constant.
  3. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

go with the Bass
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

That is some kind of rig....ask yourself. Do you really need an Ampeg and a 8x10 fridge? Hope you are young for it will help when hauling that rig around. If you do not need a rig that big look for something in the middle 300-500 watts and a 4x10 cab.

IMO your bass is decent and it could be better with a simple mod like pup but could be good as is. It depends on the music you are playing also.

I would vote amp. The old Peavy combo's are good but a good amp rig makes a lesser bass sound better not the other way around.
    I have owned and played Fenders all my playing life from Squiers to vintage MIA's. To tell you the truth the only compliments my bandmates ever made to me was when I upgraded my amps..not basses.
  5. ethanengland

ethanengland

To be honest I don't think I can have such a big Cabinet. I could just buy the head but then I would have no cab. I had the idea of selling the Cab and then buying a smaller one. What do you think?
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

For that inexpensive price you're getting it for, you could probably sell that 8 by 10 'fridge and get yourself two 4 by 10's or something more versatile and manageable.

Still, the amp will make MUCH more of an improvement in your sound than a new bass.
  7. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

I suggest saving just 1 or 2 hundred and get the fender american standard Pbass from 2011. it has the 60th anniversary neck plate.
    what gigs are you playing that you would need a fridge?
    because if you get that thing, i think you will still find yourself taking the peavey places considering its size.
  8. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

or if you are that unsure, wait a while and keep saving.
    I have never found patience steering me wrong
  9. ethanengland

ethanengland

It's true the biggest show I played this year was at a festival for 1000 people. but there are a lot of gigs that I am playing where it would be way too big. What do you think would be a good cab? maybe a smaller ampeg?
  10. bassbully

Good idea here. You still have the combo to use until you can sell the fridge and get something to match the head.
  11. bassbully

Depends. A 4x10 is kind of the standard to allot but also 2 of them allow you to make a full stack in case of need. Two 4x10's are allot better to load and handle than a single 8x10 and you have options this way.
  12. Old Fart

Old Fart

I've seen a lot of sales and purchases and, other than the (mythical) found-in-a-barn, 1951 single-digit serial number Fender Precision in mint condition for $20 stories, I think you have been offered a true no-brainer. You must, absolutely, bring that SVT home. If I were you, I'd bring the fridge home too. And probably keep it. In the meantime, just look for one or two 4x10 or 1x15 cabs. I have a four-ohm 1x15 cab that works nice for small gigs.

Some people apparently (and inexplicably) can hear a good all-tube amp and not hear the tonal different. To my ear the difference is gargantuan. Totally different ballgame compared to solid state. I paid $1000 for my used SVT, and it's the smartest money I have spent on gear. The SVT is the best sounding bass amp I have ever heard. It will absolutely transform the sound of that Jaguar. Once you have the SVT and the cab you want, you should be finished with amplifier gas and can then move on to acquiring a high quality axe. The SVT will make a WAY bigger difference compared to swapping out your basses.
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I'd buy the head but not the 810, unless you are sure you need the volume and are willing to haul the fridge. Then I'd get a nice 410. Your current bass through the new rig will sound faaaaaaar better than a better bass through the same combo IMHO.
  14. mongo2

mongo2

Years ago I used to use a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI to make my Peavey 115 sound much better.
  15. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    After reading this thread, I'm going to change my mind on my rig for tomorrow and pull out my SVT-VR & 810VR and enjoy the show. I love my Eden World Tour but an SVT is an SVT...
  16. ethanengland

ethanengland

Thanks for the help everyone
  17. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I'm a tube guy - love the warm full tone that my SVT Classic provides. I'm also an old guy (maybe these 2 go together!), 58, and well worth it to me to haul around my Ampeg Classic 4X10 along when the situation warrants. The full, deep, ground moving tone I get from that rig continues to put me in a blissful state, never gets old. I'd opt for the amp combo, selling the 8X10 for a 4X10 cab. You're in a good place, enjoy!
  18. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

I'd FOR SURE go for the head and the cab. Basses are always around, a dime a dozen, but really good deals on sound are they way (generally) to go. Put a Nordy in that jag and rock on!!
  19. ethanengland

ethanengland

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I decided to get the head and cab and I am super satisfied. I also bough brand new jj's to put in the svt too. Its so great! :)
  20. darrenmt

darrenmt

Yea i woulda gone head and cab at those prices. If the cab is too big for your needs, you can flip it for more than u paid and get a used 410/215/212 etc. I'm sure you get the idea. Save up more for a Precision or whatever bass you'd like and you're all sorted.