1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

New Bass Player

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by pecBass, Jan 22, 2013.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    I am a fairly new bass player and have been playing a low end Yamaha. I am looking to get my own and have $800-$1000 to spend.

I am looking at Ibanez SR either the 700 or 1200e.

I am playing with a praise team for church and will not be playing heavy metal type music.

I want a nice instrument that I will be able to keep a while and grow with.

I have tried the P-bass and J-bass but the Inbanez seem easier for me to play on.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

2. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    I play an Ibanez sr500 in PW band, it can cover so many sounds but it always has the ibanez growl, also use ESP LTD b-150 i think , havent played it much since getting the ibby, lol.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    I found a new sr4xxv for about 2/3 the price of the new 1200e from a reputable dealer and pulled the trigger. Should be getting by eendof next week.

They were going to include a free setup with the deal.

Looking forward to getting it.

5. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I highly recommend Schecter guitars. I play at my youth group at church and love my Stargazer 5 , which I got for around $500, but they were discontinued. It holds up easily against the AS Fenders and the Ibanez's.

6. Kukkiwanblack

Kukkiwanblack

Jan 17, 2011
    ALot of good basse sin that price range. For a new bass i would suggest a Brubaker Brute. They start around 600 bucks and are supposed to be same quality as 1500 dollar basses or higher. And when you actually get a better bass they make excellent backups. I've heard some and they sound good. they have quite a few options as well. Youtube 'em. My opinion

7. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    a killer bass for that price would be a used musicman sterling. Will give you active preamp and is really comfortable to play.

8. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

9. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Keep the Yamaha and spend the money on lessons.

10. elvinator

elvinator

Jan 2, 2014
    Tacoma
    Check out MTD Basses. I have the Artist 5 string that I play in my worship band. Really nice.

tim