1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Bass Player

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by pecBass, Jan 22, 2013.

1. pecBass

pecBass

I am a fairly new bass player and have been playing a low end Yamaha. I am looking to get my own and have $800-$1000 to spend.

I am looking at Ibanez SR either the 700 or 1200e.

I am playing with a praise team for church and will not be playing heavy metal type music.

I want a nice instrument that I will be able to keep a while and grow with.

I have tried the P-bass and J-bass but the Inbanez seem easier for me to play on.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
  2. 4dog

4dog

I play an Ibanez sr500 in PW band, it can cover so many sounds but it always has the ibanez growl, also use ESP LTD b-150 i think , havent played it much since getting the ibby, lol.
  3. pecBass

pecBass

I found a new sr4xxv for about 2/3 the price of the new 1200e from a reputable dealer and pulled the trigger. Should be getting by eendof next week.

They were going to include a free setup with the deal.

Looking forward to getting it.
  4. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

I highly recommend Schecter guitars. I play at my youth group at church and love my Stargazer 5 , which I got for around $500, but they were discontinued. It holds up easily against the AS Fenders and the Ibanez's.
  5. Kukkiwanblack

Kukkiwanblack

ALot of good basse sin that price range. For a new bass i would suggest a Brubaker Brute. They start around 600 bucks and are supposed to be same quality as 1500 dollar basses or higher. And when you actually get a better bass they make excellent backups. I've heard some and they sound good. they have quite a few options as well. Youtube 'em. My opinion
  6. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

a killer bass for that price would be a used musicman sterling. Will give you active preamp and is really comfortable to play.
  7. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

8. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Keep the Yamaha and spend the money on lessons.
  9. elvinator

elvinator

Check out MTD Basses. I have the Artist 5 string that I play in my worship band. Really nice.

tim