new bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harpspitfire, Jan 4, 2014.

1. harpspitfire

harpspitfire

hi guys, i decided ill need a new bass (remember i have hearing issues) my $30 flee market bass isnt working right, the controls keep cutting in and out and other issues, im taking advice at look at the SX basses, i like this one, has the split pickups and i like the color combo, the SX ursa 3 RN CAR, thats the model in the case the link doesnt work- http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa3rncar.html
    would this be a good choice? i like a couple others but seem to be a 30" scale, this isnt a drawback is it? thx john

2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have owned several SX basses and guitars. They have always been a great value. I have never had any issues with any of them. My main basses is a modded SX Jazz. I think you would be quite happy and surprised at the bass you are looking at for only $119.
    If you can spend a bit more this SX would be a better buy.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mnpro3ts.html

It's on sale for only $149. My son bought one of the pro models last summer at the regular price and IMO is was still a great deal.

Here is my main SX Jazz: I paid $139 for it and have about another $110 in mods in it. I have had other bass players use it at jams. They always ask about it because they are impressed with the way it plays and sounds.

[​IMG]

3. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

What GJBASSIST said. I have had a LOT of SX basses (yeah, I'm the guy with the 9 LPB SX basses), so I guess I'm pretty much a fanboy. Good value all around. I've never had a PRO, but I do have an Andromeda which has the same bridge, and while I have never changed tuners (the PRO has lightweight tuners) the step-up models are also worth the extra coin.

It all depends on what matters to you.

[​IMG]

4. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I have an SX Ursa bass. It's an Ash body with maple neck and fret board. Very good player.
    The cost of the materials to build these bases is more than the selling price.

Here's a pic... Note: the headstock and neck are curly maple, fret board is hard maple with white block inlays. The body is American swam ash. That's far more than I expected for $186.00, delivered. When I received it, I put another $75.00 into it, had the frets dresses, and a set up done to it. It really does play well. I was completely, and very happily surprised. I recommend them to every one who is looking for a low cost bass with good bones. The run about $100.00 less than a comparable Squier, and in many cases are made of better materials. What you don't get is the "Fender" headstock.

btw... contrary to what many it's detractors claim (most of whom have no experience with an SX), it's a very good studio bass.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+1 to that, dabbler.

For example; the main reason I backed away from getting an SX is not because of the price, country of origin or reviews by fellow TB'ers. It's because all their fretboards have a very flat 14" radius, whereas I prefer a curvier board (9.5" or 7.25" for me).

That being said, sometimes the only way to figure out "what matters" is through first-hand experience. I didn't realize my fretboard preference until I put together a parts-bass using a 12" radius neck. Now I know…

…and knowing is half the battle! :bag: