New Bass Recomandation

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Rahee, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Rahee

Rahee

Hi Nikki,

I'm a bassist here in Bangladesh playing for about 3 months. I own a Ibanez GSR - 205, which I picked up as a beginner model bass. I mostly play rock bass and I'm inspired by Duff Mckagan. I'm also fascinated by progressive rock/metal music. The thing is I dont have clue how to upgrade my gear. Should I change my bass? Or should I make modifications. Musical instruments and accessories are pretty high-priced here( 37.5% tax! Go figure! :( ). What should I do considering the current scene? :help:
  2. bassfan15

bassfan15 Supporting Member

In my opinion, look in the local used market for the best p bass you can afford, that will be a great start.
  3. Rahee

Rahee

Thanks for the advise. :)
  4. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi rahee!

lots and lots of choices out there. the best value will probably come from a used instrument, because of the lower price. that ibanez gsr is actually a really nice bass for the money, but if you like duff mckagan's tone, then it will probably be harder to get out of that bass' configuration. if i recall correctly, duff used a p/j configuration a lot live… something like a used fender jazz bass or fender p bass or fender p/j would get you in the ballpark. of course, there are lots of options from different manufacturers out there with similar pickup configurations, so it probably won't be hard to find something you like.
  5. Rahee

Rahee

Thanks Adam.
  6. Rahee

Rahee

Another question that occured in mind is that should I change my stock pickups( 2 standard J-style single coils) and replacing them with ESP soapbars? Then I have to re-route the wiring and curveout wood from body to fit the soapbars. Will it affect/damage the sound of the bass ? I will obviously hire the best luthier around.
  7. adamnitti

adamnitti

my personal opinion is that if you are going to go through the trouble and expense to replace electronics and get the bass routed, modified, etc, it is better to save the money and put it towards another bass guitar. that way you will have 2 basses with 2 distinctly different tones. for the cost of a new set of pickups plus the labor for all of the modifications, you will be getting close to the price of a used bass that already has the configuration you are looking for. like i said, that's just my perspective. obviously if that is the plan you think is best then you should go for it.
  8. adamnitti

adamnitti

by the way, who is 'nikki'? :)
  9. Rahee

Rahee

sorry dude! miss-spelled the name! Again thanks for the advise. Your awesome! :)
  10. adamnitti

adamnitti

lol, that's awesome. :D
  11. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

Well, you just got a nickname.