1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New bass search

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happychicken, Feb 5, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi all!
    I have been looking into getting an active bass that has the same string spacing as my mim jazz bass. Trying to keep it light with a thin neck front to back . I'm trying to make myself familiar with a lot of basses out there but I can't wrap my head around all the different brands. I have like a thousand to work with so any suggestions would really help me narrow my search thanks!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

How about a Fender active Jazz? You'll have the same specs that you like. Check Guitar Center's web site for selection.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Or fender deluxe pj. Active with a jazz neck.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

...or a Reggie Hamilton Jazz. It's active/passive switchable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet your Jazz has 19mm spacing at the bridge, which 90% of four string basses do. The nut is 1.5 inches wide, which is also a pretty popular option. I'm pretty sure that most Ibanez Soundgear 4's have those specs. Another killer bass that has those specs is the Carvin Bromberg signature.
    Ultimately your best bet is to get to your closest music store and get your hands on a bunch of basses.

7. CM63

CM63

Agreed! i'll sum uit up in two words: Soundgear Soungear.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Upon second thought, if you have a grand at your disposal how about getting a Geddy Lee Signature Jazz and installing an active preamp? I hear the neck is noticeably thinner, front to back.

Brand new, they go for about $900, but I've seen used ones for significantly less. That should leave enough to buy active electronics and, if needs be, have someone install it, yes?

9. happychicken

I thank everyone for their input. I'm under the impression AND IM PROBABLY WRONG that there arent many good Ibanez basses. Lots of people dump on those basses. I would think the high end are fairly nice though. As they have tons of those at GC ill try some.

10. happychicken

Well I went in a different direction completely. I saw a peavey cirrus 4 with redwood top that gc had used and I own it now. Couldn't pass that up even though I had one before in wenge an didn't love the 35 inch scale. If I can't get used to it this time ill just stare at it!

11. Reddog01

Reddog01

I love my SR700. I have payed many others, but when it's all said and done, I'm glad that I have what I have. Selecting a bass is like selecting golf clubs or a new trombone. The Callaway irons might fit you very well, but for other, the Pings are the right match. Many trombone players swear by the Bachs, but I prefer the Conns (I had a Bach and traded it off). Basses are the same way. Fit is everything. There are very few sounds that I cannot produce out of my SR700.

12. tom once dead

tom once dead

Nothing wrong with Ibanez. If it's in your budget, see if you can get your hands on an MTD. The necks on those basses are just incredibly comfortable, the only thing I didn't like about them is their 19mm spacing.