New Bass: Sterling by MM or Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IronMaiden0329, Aug 17, 2013.

1. IronMaiden0329

IronMaiden0329

Hey guys, I'm coming up on my ninth year of playing bass and I have decided to upgrade my guitar. I've been playing on a cheapo Ibanez EDB400 for all this time. Just yesterday I walked in to my local Guitar Center and picked up what I thought was a Stingray. I played it for a while, admiring the awesome tone and as a was placing it back on its hanger I noticed the price tag: $600! So my question is: if I want to keep my budget around $700, where would my money be better spent, on this Sterling by MM or on an Ibanez SR7--? I'm looking for a 5er to get that extra range.

Would I be better off saving up another grand for a real Stingray or a SR Prestige? Any better basses on this budget (no Fenders)?

Thanks in advance guys!
  2. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Personally I'd go with the MM, because if I only had two basses, I wouldn't want them both to be an ibanez, with one just being a better model.
  3. Nobody

Nobody

I don't think you NEED to save up for the higher end ones. I think the SBMMs and the 7xx series Ibanez SRs are both great in their own ways.
    As far as deciding between the two, that is a hard one. The consensus around here will probably be the SBMM because it's more "classic" than the SR7xx and there's nothing wrong with that logic. That really is a tough choice.
  4. garp

garp

Personally, I don’t think the Ibanez Ergodynes are all that “cheapo” — in fact, I’ve got two of ‘em.

But to your question, the SBMM fivers are very nice, and I agree that something in the MM camp — whether it be a SBMM Ray5 or an EBMM StingRay 5 — would give you a nice alternative tone that’s very different from your Ibanez. To Nobody’s previous point, there are some more affordable ways to get very close to the StingRay tone without dropping four figures on a new instrument.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IronMaiden0329

IronMaiden0329

I didn't mean to put down the Ergodyne, I love mine with all of my heart, but she is definitely starting to age. The electronics are going downhill fast followed closely by the bridge and the tuners are getting a little wonky. I just thought that by the time I upgraded the aging parts on my Ergo, I'd be better of buying a new bass. What i really love about the Ergo is that paper thin neck. So fast.
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Diff soiund for the two basses and diff necks. If you like them both equal for sound, then go with the one whose neck you like better. Between the two, you'll have more sound versatility with the I banez due to neck and bridge pups. Both have active eq. Though the Ibanez adds midrange control. Either woiuld be good choice.
  8. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

With $700 you can snag some really nice basses off the classifieds here on talkbass.