New Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thumpmaster, Jan 15, 2014.

1. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

I have been using Ernie Ball Slinky 45-105 forever. I bought a case of 24 a few years ago, and I finally went through all of them. Now all of basses need new string. I have been looking at the newer EB Cobalt. Has anyone tried these, and are there any other strings I should look at? Oh yeah, I play mainly in an 80's cover band, but I also do some funk trio instrumental stuff.
  2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

I have heard mixed opinions on the cobalts. Some suggestions that i have tried:

*Daddario xl
    *Rotosound swingbass 66 (inconsistent though)
    *daddario chromes (if you want flatwounds)
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Compared to Slinkies, Cobalts will be brighter sounding and rougher feeling. Kinda like Rotosound 66's.

For the same price as Cobalts I personally like DR Dragon Skins but of course strings are a personal preference.

Heck, just buy a bunch of different strings and see what you like best! Check out www.bassstringsonline.com where you'll get the best price and selection, plus a TB user discount :)
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

I use the EB Hybrid Slinky strings (orange pack). They work well for every genre I've used them in, and aren't too bright when you first put them on.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

That is exactly what I have been using for the past 10 years or so. I was just curious if there was anything else out there. I have the EB Hybrids on every bass that I own. That would be 9 of them.:bassist:
  7. hotbass57

hotbass57

DR Sunbeams rdwnd. nickle are nice strings. Nice tone and feel. not very bright and popular here. I personally like mine.