New bass suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluelephant4, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Bluelephant4

Bluelephant4

I'm planning on getting a new bass soon and was looking for suggestions. I would like to get a squire or fender in the pricerange of 300 - 600 dollars. I would like a fretless but it's not necessary and more than 4 strings would also be nice. I reaalllly like matching headstock and body colours. Please leave some suggestions! Thanks!
  2. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

....a fretless squire p bass....
  3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

used MIM Fender or Squire VM or CV model
  4. Bluelephant4

Bluelephant4

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that I'm not looking for a precision. And honestly i would go for an ibanez or dean I just don't know what to look for.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Squier has the Vinatge Modified Jazz Fretless for about $300 new Sunburst only, I think) hear good things about it. They also have a VM Jazz 5 string (natural finish, blocked and bound maple board) that you may want to check out. If it's anything like it's 4 string twin (which I have and love) then it could be a good one as well. As far as I know Squier makes no 5+ string fretlesses.
  7. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Schecter
  8. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Schecter

Scratch that, thunderbird
  9. ksandvik

ksandvik

Usually I would recommend Squier VM (77s) but this time I'm different, I would check out the new Sterling (EBMM) Sub Rays.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

There are the Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass Actives. They come in four and five strings, but neither are fretless.

http://www.fender.com/products/deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-4-string

http://www.fender.com/products/deluxe-jazz-bass-v-active-5-string

Interesting thing, they have the same ebonol fretboard as the VM Fretless Jazz. I've often wondered what the Active Jazz IV would sound like if you swapped the neck for a VM Jazz's fretless.

Currently they come in black with matching headstock and a three-tone sunburst with a natural finish headstock. They used to make a white-with-white version, but it has since been discontinued. That doesn't mean you can't find a nice used one…just like I did just three months ago. :D

[​IMG]
  11. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

This. They are such a great bass in that price range. Really giving Squier a run for its money with their debut. That was probably the idea. SUB = Squier Un-doer Bass? :D
  12. bootsox

bootsox

13. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

I was recently after a cheap fretless and had a lengthly thread going on basschat.co.uk about it. I ended up getting a 2nd hand Vintage V940F for under £200 (under $350). What a fantastic budget model it is which is unfortunately discontinued. I had the chance to A-B this with a Squier VMJ fretless, which i originally went to buy at the sellers house, the Vintage blew it out the water.

heres a link to the thread on bass chat:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193589-first-fretless-recommendations/