New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jblmusic1994, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

I am going to get a student loan soon. With some of that money, I am looking forward to buying a bass around the $600-800 price range. I feel less guilt, I'm sure, than most people do when using student loans to buy what they want, considering I am an electric bass music major.

After several months of contemplation, I've eliminated the option of 'upgrading' to a 5 string. So I am looking or a good 4 string that is around that range. Any suggestions?

Also, right now, I am playing a Modified Squier Jazz Bass. It sounds, plays and looks decent. Should I postpone my upgrade until it is a greater distance of quality from my current instrument? In other words, is it worth it to upgrade?

I've played a few basses already that I really enjoyed that fit my criteria, so maybe I could get some pros/cons of these instruments.
    One in mind is a Warwick Corvette. I believe it's just a standard from Warwick. I believe it is around the $600-800 range?
    The other one, I'm not entirely sure about. I believe it's made by Ibanez. (Not sure) I think it said "SR" on the headstock, rather than Ibanez.

I also love natural wood finish and feel (which is another reason I like the above basses). I know people think choosing instruments is foolish, but when I'm laying in bed, a beautiful wood finish glaring at me from the corner is going to compel me to get up and practice for 3 more hours more than a generic looking solid candy gloss color. Silly, I know. But I've found it to be true based on my previous experiences.

Suggestions please!

2. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Sterling By Musicman Ray 34 if you like the Stingray sound. :bassist:
    [​IMG]

3. mebusdriver

mebusdriver

Ditto. Crazy nice instrument for the money.

4. IPA

IPA

When "upgrading" you must consider

1. Is there anything wrong with the current bass, aside from the fact that it isn't new?

2. What does the old bass not do that the new one needs to do?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

I am basically striving for a better tone; a different tone. Also, the playability on my current bass isn't where I quite want it.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Buy used and you can get a better instrument for your price range.

8. Relayer71

Relayer71

Lots of good options at that price range used OR new, obviously you'll be getting an ARGUABLY better instrument used for the same money as new.

You mentioned natural finish AND SR (you probably meant SDGR?) - this is the Ibanez Soundgear line, very nice instruments, I think (and so do others) that it's one of the most bang for buck basses, particularly the SR500 and SR600 models.

The SR600 may be up your alley: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...7&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=112

It's $650 new, and comes in two natural finishes (I love the Walnut). These are very well made for the price, extremely comfortable to play (small, lightweight, curved bodies with thin, narrow necks), and you can get a versatile range of sounds with the flexible active EQ. The SR500 is $50 less but only comes in a Mahogany Brown finish that can vary from too reddish to an ugly dull brown though occasionally you get a nice deep dark brown. But it also has pewter-ish color hardware as opposed to black.

I'd say this is not only a nice upgrade from what you currently have but also a nice complement: active vs. passive EQ, modern sound and looks vs. more traditional/classic. I believe there's one for sale in the classifieds here.

And back to looks, the natural finish of the body and the back of the neck (Jatoba and Bubinga wood) look great together on the SR600.

Otherwise, you can look for an American made Jazz which will cost a bit more but give you a more refined version of what you're already familiar with.

9. topo morto

topo morto

Maybe post some clips of the tone you are looking for?

Why? neck not straight, frets not level, what?

10. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

Thank you! This is the specific bass that I played and loved. :) I am definitely considering buying this one.

11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

12. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

You said you are a bass major? Are you starting your first year? I would wait until you get to school and work/talk a bit with your teacher. He/she may be able to help guide you. That's what everyone always recommends for all other types of music majors, so I see no reason why you should rush to buy a bass before you start a program.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

For the price you are looking at you can get a better instrument, but the Squier is a good bass so the upgrade isn't necessary. If you want a new bass, then get one, but don't look at it as a needed upgrade from what you have. If you don't have a bass in mind that you're gassing for in your price range I'd sit on the money until something comes up that does. Simply buying another bass because you have the money doesn't seem like a good plan.

14. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

Not my first year.

15. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Have you talked to your teacher about upgrading and what they recommend?

16. aidanPmC

aidanPmC

I've seen music man stingrays go for $800 used

17. hsech

hsech I may be old, but that doesn't mean I can't play Gold Supporting Member

I thought student loans, backed by taxpayers, were supposed to be used for education. Parents and part time jobs for new instruments. Call me an old fashion tax payer.

18. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump Supporting Member

$600-$800 will get you a lot on the TB forums. Shop smart and make sure you do your homework.

19. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

what school?

20. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

I don't think this pertains to the thread or proves to be helpful in anyway.

21. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm a tax officer: hsech is 100% right

Get me, I'm not blamin' you, I'm from Italy and work here, so no harm anyway

But you better pay attention to good advices: hsech's is one;)

Cheers,
    Wallace