1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzybassplaya, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jazzybassplaya

jazzybassplaya

I've had my Mexican Fender Jazz bass for about six years, I bought it brand new, it's been awesome but I think I'm growing out of it. My band now is moving in the right direction but my tone isn't. I am also moving to my fingers instead of a pick and playing more technical stuff. 1.) Active or passive pickups? 2). American Fender or move away? 3.) Replace my pickups with Fender customs or just move on? I'm kind of tied to this bass, but I think it may be time to part ways. I'm very open to suggestions, I just don't know many bassists so I would love the feedback.

2. Disappear

Disappear

Jazzy,

I recommend going to your local music store and trying out a variety of basses and listen to what it sounds like.

Opinions here will just sway you into buying something you *think* is right because people told you it was. It's more important to pick something you think is right because you heard the difference.

Pay attention not only to how it sounds but how you can make it sound, how the strings are spaced, how do the fret's spacing feel, play aggressively and see how well it stays in tune, downtune and see if you get the same tone (ignoring string effects).

3. johng999

johng999

Disappear is giving you good advice. Today there are a lot of really good instruments out there. Go out and play as many of them as you can, and see which ones you gravitate to. You will know what you like and what sounds good to you. Just keep in mind that what sounds good in the store may sound very different with the band.

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

^^This. Sometimes I think that these "what bass with what features can you recommend" might not be all that useful, becasue all you're gonna get sometimes is people recommending what bass abd features THEY like, that may or may not turn out to be what YOU like. As always, even tho it may seem to be a cliche, the best thing is to try as many different basses as you can and go with the one that "speaks" to you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Banger4

4Banger4

I've had my MIM Jazz for 12yrs. I hit the same point as you. Thought I had out grown it wanted to try something else. I bought a few different basses and the MIM pretty much stayed in the case. After getting bored with the other basses I revisited the MIM, ended up putting on a BadAss bridge, replaced the pups and tried different strings as I too started playing finger style. If it's as solid bass your just tired of it's current tone, I'd try different strings/pups. If you have the funds hold on to it. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    I think 6 years is enough time to justify rewarding yourself with a new bass! If you like your jazz and you are used to that, try out some American Fender jazz basses and maybe some vintage ones too (or a reissue). Try other brands too, of course, but if you have grown accustomed to the feel of a jazz like i have, there are loss of options for just that one style of bass. And beyond Fender, there are lots of good companies that offer their take on the jazz, like lakland, Sadowsky, etc..

Or if it's mainly a big tone change you're after, maybe you are a P bass guy and don't know it yet?

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

I am

Many years thru many (I qualify MANY... take a look at my profile...) Jazz basses, and then I discovered how I like P/Js,
    neck hum and P split, or single split at all, instead of dual singles

Anyway, swapping different pickups can improve your tone a lot, without spendin' too much

Fender's Samarium cobalt noiseless are already sold in pairs, they don't cost that much, are completely soloable, without any hum of sort and you'll get more definition and fundamental
    without sidetrackin' your ear and the sound it's accustomed to

Playin' fingerstyle (I do) I reccommend you some midrounds (or midflats, dependin' on how they're actually factory called), just try them askin' advice to your retailer of choice... and while you're there and they're adjustin' your bass, take a few minutes to try some other offerings out there. With no GAS at all: you ain't need it, believe me... you're bass can change a lot with a few upgradings...
    Then, if you really find something that speaks more to you (and I assure you fingers never lie) ok... it's gonna be time for you to part ways with your Jazz

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. jazzybassplaya

jazzybassplaya

Thanks a lot guys, I'm actually going to my local dealer and I'm going to try out a bunch of basses tonight, but I'll probably end up changing out the pickups to MIA. Regardless the feedback is much appreciated.

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    I was a Jazz guy for 25 years- or so I thought. I got a 2008 American Std P-bass and fell madly, crazy, deeply in love. Turns out I was a P-bass guy in J-bass guy's body. I still own a great new 2012 Jazz, but this P has been my go to for the last 4 years. Without fail.