New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SWBass, Dec 21, 2012.

1. SWBass

SWBass

I am looking for a new bass and am looking to not spend more than $4K out of pocket. I have been told that my current bass could be valued around $3K with trade. I have looked at a few Shen basses, in particular the Willow for about $3500 and a Shen Rogeri 800 model for $7500, both new. I have also looked at a few Snow basses;the 500 and 600 models,both new for about $7k. I like all of these basses and have heard great things about Shens. However, I'm a little weary about the Snow because I haven't heard too much about them. Do they have a tendency to warp over time or have any other problems that I should be aware of? I know that Chinese basses have a certain stigma attached to them. Are these reasonable prices for these instruments? Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice carved bass in the price range of $3k to $7k? Does anyone know of a solid person/place in Massachusetts that sells basses? Thanks.

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Mark Leue (thelutheir.us) sells Shens and vintage basses. He has a fully carved, '40s Juzek for $4,800. Upton Bass has a shop in Boston, and Mike Hartley from Boston Bass Works is worth a call. There's also the Bass Shop at Johnson String Instruments.

I owned a Shen 150, and have played their 180, 190 Rogeri, Willow flatback and 800 maple Rogeri. All were nice, comparable to my raggedy old European carved basses, and the 800 was spectacular...at $9,000.

If you do a search, you may find that the Snow basses have been criticized for still being "green" at the time they were imported into the relatively dry American climate. I've never played one, so I have nothing to offer. There was a carved Snow available secondhand here in Albany a while ago, priced at $5,500. Not sure if it ever sold.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Mike Hartery at Boston Bass Works will take care of you. Plus, his setups are as good as you will find in New England. I grew up in southern NH, went to UMass, and recently lived in VT. Mike did all my work for 2 years...I really think you'd be happy. He sells Shens, plus has several other older basses. Throw him a call, and chat with him. GOOD guy!

4. powerbass

powerbass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. powerbass

powerbass

Here's Mark's website
    http://www.theluthier.us

7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Oops! Thanks for the typo correction.

8. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    At that price point you should definitely look into a KC Strings instrument. You can get a killer carved bass for 5600.

9. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

You will likely get the most value out of a used instrument, whatever it ends up being. You are at a tricky pricepoint. 4k could get you a superior plywood that may easily compete with a low level carved (like a very early vintage American Standard) or a used Arnold Schnitzer Cleveland or La Scala. Some hybrids will also come into play such as the Shen. My instinct is that quality carved instruments are just out of reach unless you get VERY lucky. As always you're going to have to get out there and start playing a lot of instruments...

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

I just sold a Snow bass that I had for about two years. It was a 2003 so I can't speak to green issues, but it was a great carved bass. From the Shens I have played I would say they are in the same ballpark as the Snows.

11. WCHIII

WCHIII

Birdsong basses should be looked at also.

12. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Just looked on Arnold's website for AES music. He's got an Eastman (I've played a few and found them to be an excellent value), and a Shen Hybrid and one of his own ply La Scalas. Time to get in the car my friend. These basses will have a perfect set up and be 100% healthy. Money says you walk out with one of those....

13. longfinger

longfinger

$4k out of pocket plus $3K trade in value of current bass, gives $7K to spend and a lot of options. For sure head out to Boston and and check out all the bass shops. Make a list and go to each one. Also check out places in CT and NY.

Are you more classical or jazz oriented? Do you travel a lot, and could use removable neck? What are you searching for?

14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Wan Bernadel from www.stringemporium.com is a good carved Chinese bass and a good value, IMO. I've played a couple and they are owned by pros.

15. SWBass

SWBass

Hey,thanks folks for all of the feedback. I'll check out some of these other brands that have been mentioned like Wan Bernadel, La Scalas and Birdsong basses!