New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raoul234, Feb 2, 2013.

1. raoul234

raoul234

Hey guys,
    Im a guitarist looking to change to bass. (funky style)
    Ive been doing some looking around and now im stuck between those 2 basses.
    - Fleabass Touring Bass Wild one
    - Ibanez GSR 200 EX
    I dont know to much about basses so id hope some of you could help me out? ;D
  2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Don't care for the Fleabass myself, I started on an Ibanez GSR 200. It's a good starter bass. If I could go do it again, I'd start on a Squier Precision. If you're lucky, you can score a Mexican Fender Precision for a bit more dough.

my .02
  3. raoul234

raoul234

Hmm well yeah, i stumbled on the squier affinity p-bass aswell, but i decided to look further because i read that its not suited for a funky groovy sound that well?, but more for a grunge/punk sound?. and im looking more for the former sound. :)
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant

You want a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

If I was looking at a Fleabass/Ibby GSR-200 range purchase, I'd spend another C note and get the VM Jazz. My.02.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There's about a million threads on here with people giving advice about which bass you should buy. No one can tell you what to buy.

If you've narrowed own your selection to those two, go to a music store, or a few music stores that have the bases and play each one for a while. See which one feels the best in your hands. See which one sounds better to you. That's the only way to tell which to buy. We can say go buy XYZ bass, but that's meaningless.
  7. raoul234

raoul234

i can get the ibanez gsr200EX for 170Euros/230usd (used) and the fleabass (new) for 200 eur/ 270 usd. Since its my first bass, id like to stay in that price range.
  8. klejst

klejst

+1. Very solid bass for beginners or veteran bassists if you ask me
  9. KitBass

KitBass

+2 for the money IMO there is no better for funk and feel in that price range
  10. raoul234

raoul234

unfortunately i cant find a used classic vibe / vintage modified anywhere even close to me :(
  11. ThatBassBoy

ThatBassBoy

+3 if it didn't have the squier logo on it, you would never guess it was by the sound.
  12. ThatBassBoy

ThatBassBoy

you dont need to necessarily check used, you can go to a local store and see if they have one marked down.

other great places to check used:

- Craigslist
    - Ebay
    - Music-go-around
    - talkbass (duh)

or you could post an ad looking for the vintage modified jazz, so they come to you
  13. raoul234

raoul234

i also found a good priced yamaha rbx 374 , does anyone have some experience/thoughts about it?