1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New bassist Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chiliwaffles, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Chiliwaffles

Chiliwaffles

I'm a new bassist, as the title says, and I'm trying to find a good bass and amp for my style of playing.

My main influences are Steve Harris from Iron Maiden and Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath.

Note: I have only been playing for 10 months and i kinda want a five stringer. Should I do it?
  2. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Only you know what you will like so go to your favorite music store and try all the basses you can get your hands on. I bet you'll find the one that feels good in your hands. Do the same for the amps.
  3. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Cant do much better than what bass4worship said. Go to as many music stores as you can and try everything they'll let you play.
    Given your influences, I wouldnt be surprised to see you end up with a Precision but you might find something else that really speaks to you.
    Harris has played Precisions almost exclusively in his career and Geezer started out with one, though he's played a lot of different basses over the years.

Everyone has different opinions about starting on a 5 stringer. I'll diplomatically stay out of THAT discussion. :ninja:

Oh yeah, what kind of bass do you have now and what do you think your budget will be for the next one??
  4. bubinga5

bubinga5

This.. try try try.. if you can.. Steve Harris? P bass? try a 5 string a see how it feels.. There is no reason why you cant play a 5, unless your offput by the neck width or B..
  5. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

By the way, if you plan to spend some time trying out gear make sure you buy something on the the way out, like a small item. If you do they'll let you come in anytime with out looking at you cross-eyed.:eek:
  6. Chiliwaffles

Chiliwaffles

the current bass i have is a Dean Playmate with the matching 15 watt amp. thats right a beginner set. i got the bass for $215 and i got the amp for free later. so i would really love to just step up from that. my price range would be about $300 - $500
  7. jkkkjkhk

jkkkjkhk

Fender P bass. Simple bass with great results. There's a reason it's been around for so long. No matter what style music, what kind of basses you like, your height, weight, anything, every bassist needs a P bass.
  8. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Good price range to work with...after you try a bunch of stuff at the music stores-figure out which models you like the best in that range. then come back here and find the same bass in the classifieds and save yourself some $$ that you can use toward a new amp down the road...or on lessons!!!
  9. Chiliwaffles

Chiliwaffles

ok that sounds like a good idea. i just have one more question. not relating to gear this time. When i take lessons what will i be learning? because ive been working on my scales modes and triads alot
  10. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

That's up to you and the teacher, I'd suggest focusing on technique - at ten months you'll probably have a few bad habits. They'll be a pain to fix but it's a lot harder the longer you wait. Otherwise it's a matter of what you want to learn (and if there's someone around who can teach it).
  11. elavate7

elavate7

Disclosures:
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    IMO, try to get your rig together first. start with the amp head. im sure you can get a decent 200-250 watt amp head for that kind of money. seismic audio has great inexpensive speaker cabs. i own the 4x8 and the 210 and they sound amazing. once you get your rig together, you will be able to start gigins. you can always get a new bass later
  12. darkstorm

darkstorm

If you can get comfortable with a five string neck and can afford a bass with good low B sound, then sure, get a fiver if you want one. Esp ltd F series with their 25 scale necks are among the best fivers for budget basses imo. Ibanez as another good choice but their low B isnt as good imo with the 34 scale. Yes I know you can get great low B with 34 scale but basses like that generally cost a lot.

In your price range Id look at spending $300 or so for the bass, which means used for a fiver. Upgrading your bass combo amp will also improve your sound a lot. Look for used peavey minx 110 or other 10" speaker bass combos with minimum of 30 watts. Good choice for at home in bedroom etc little amps. For bass, used is best choice to overall. Though the Ibanez sr300 and esp ltd f154dx and b154dx are in the $300-$350 range new. So used one ig found should be gettable for like $250 or less imo. Though for iron maiden and sabbath fan, P pup basses would be good choice. Geezer used roundwound strings, iron maidens bassist uses flats. I hate flats for sound and feel, but many like them.
  13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Can't go wrong with a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5-string. I'd personally test that sucker out, and if you like it, get one used. Those are fantastic basses around $500. I would buy one, but I'm too much of a Fender 'n' 4-string lover to buy one.

Also, for learning, I'd focus on learning and recognizing notes by ear and being able to play notes that you think of inside your head. Once you are able to recognize which notes, let alone which octave a note would be played on the fretboard by just hearing or imagining it, then the sky is the limit.
  14. Elrend

Elrend

Bass = One that has strings and feels comfortable in your hands.
    Amp = One that works.