1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Beck

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by JimmyM, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
  2. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Beck found a way to make all other indie bands that think they're "keeping it real" by releasing their albums on vinyl feel like total sellouts and poseurs. :D

Vinyl?! That's so 2011, we're releasing our new record on paperrrrr foooool!

It's absurd... and brilliant. I can't wait. :bassist:

3. mc_muench

mc_muench

yup that's Beck...

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Yup. We're in San Francisco right now, and things are in the final proofing stages with McSweeney's before it goes to press any day now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. that-guy

that-guy

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    And that's why I keep telling folks they should learn how to read music...now I'll be able to hear the new Beck album and everyone else who can't read will be jackin'...should have listened to me, kids ;)

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

I knew my parents put me through orchestra from k-12 for a reason...to listen to Beck

9. tomdarch

tomdarch

hmmm.... That screams $$$, so I may be waiting for this to show up as a torrent ;)

10. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    Oops! I thought it was Jeff Beck!

X8

11. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

:rolleyes:

12. jmjbassplayer

Booooooooo

13. jmjbassplayer

Boooooooo

14. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Who is going to be the first person to painfully enter it into Finale the dummies of the world can hear the MIDI playback? :^P

15. winston

winston

A stunning rebuke to the tablature users of the world!
    When will the limited-edition player piano roll be released?

16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

It's definitely an outside the box kind of idea. It comes across like Beck is trying to conduct some kind of a massive social experiment. And I can't help but think that it also comes across as a massive middle finger to the record industry, too.

I'm curious if Beck has or will be recording any of these songs. I get the feeling that you probably need to keep mum on that front.

But will this also expose the poor state of sight reading amongst musicians?

17. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

At first, I assumed that these would just be simple lead sheets, but if you're involved, I'm thinking that the sheet music might have various instrumental parts written out. Is that the case (if you can say)?

18. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

I mean no disrespect, but I don't get it.
    Most music fans are not musicians.
    What's the point of releasing unrecorded music?

*EDIT* I'm sorry, I didn't notice that this was posted in the Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen section. My apologies.

19. Patski

Patski

I'm really looking forward to this, i'm a big Beck and JMJ fan :)

This is an interesting progression from the idea of bands releasing Garageband/source files of their tracks (like NIN, Mogwai, Radiohead, etc did). I also imagine that there was a time in history (way back in the days of classical music) when the only way to hear a track was to track down the sheet music and play it yourself.

I mostly learn stuff by ear, tab or using an app called Capo; but i welcome the chance to brush up on my sight reading.

Maybe I'm just in an optimistic mood, but i can see all sorts of possibilities from this. Collaborating with other Beck fans on the internet, people giving the tracks their own "flavour" or interpretation, and other bands releasing more sheet music. The quality of most tabs on the net is terrible, so the more quality sheet music available the better.

It would have been to cool to have the vocal tracks released to us, I went a Karaoke bar on Friday and the results were very mixed lol

Will these tracks eventually end up being played live at any of your shows?

20. jmjbassplayer

Just think of this as a new (old) door being opened for people, particularly in this DIY generation. It's certainly not intended to be exclusionary. Is it niche? Of course.

J

21. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

It's awesome. What's new is what's old. When the great classical composers wrote a piece, there was no recording, just the score.