1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Bergantino Line of Neo Cabs!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KJung, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJung

KJung

Hey guys! I am happy to be able to announce the new Bergantino CN212 and CN112. This is Jim's new neo line.

I've played probably 80% of my gigs over the last 4 years or so on one or the other of Jim's previous neo cabs (AE's). Over the last couple of years, my primary gigging cab is the wonderful AE212.

Given my love of all things AE, Jim asked me if I wanted to serve as a field tester for his new CN212 (as most know, Jim does not do endorsements, so I will be paying full price for mine like everyone else). So, I was able to spend about 5 weeks with it, and spent lots of time pounding on it with various heads and basses at home and on the gig. While the cab I had was a prototype, it ended up being virtually identical to the final production model.

Physical Description: The CN212 is spec'd at 46 pounds, so meaningfully lighter than my AE212. The CN112 (which I haven't played) is 28 pounds. Both cabs are using virtually identical front ported boxes as the HD12's (so, front ported, tolex cover... a cool 'carbon fiber' looking tolex... CN means 'carbon neo', meant to represent super lighweight and modern design). The handles on the CN212 have been moved down a bit versus the AE212, so less 'knee knocking'. Otherwise, the HD212, AE212 and CN212 are the same size.

Jim is not including any 10" loaded cabs in his new line, since the neo drivers are still quite expensive (making the 410 and 210 quite a bit higher priced than the 212 and 112.

Tone/Performance: One of the reasons I'm so excited about this new cab is that the voicing is a wonderful blend of the AE410 and AE212 (and a bit of the HD212). It is more low end extended and open than the wonderful AE410 (like the AE212), but has a wonderful, round, fat upper bass/lower mid meat to it (which brings to mind the HD 12's). It also has that bit of upper midrange peak and organic warm brightness that so many love with the AE410. The tweeter is relaxed, smooth and musical, and the cab sounds good with it dialed up or way down, depending on your tone goal.

I've spent quite a bit of time A/Bing with my AE212. It really does sound 'bigger' and 'less hi fi'. On the gig, it put out every bit the volume of the AE212, but again, with a meatier low mid chest punch, and a much more 'organic' top end (that P Bass growl or 70's J grind comes through wonderfully).

I purposely didn't take any close up shots of the cab, nor do any clips since it was a prototype, and I wasn't sure how close it was to the final product at the time. However, here is a 'side by side' shot with my AE212 (the head is the Glock Blue Soul, the bass is my Alleva-Coppolo 70's J.

[​IMG]

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Oooh.

Subscribbled!

:cool:

3. KJung

KJung

The CN212 is on the RIGHT in the picture above, with the Blue Soul on top.

These cabs will start shipping in early/mid March. I very much appreciate it that Jim doesn't announce products until they are in production with a fixed introduction date.

I will be putting in my order with Greg at Rocket Music today for the CN212.:hyper: I'll put up a couple of clips when I get it (this cab definitely has dragged me out of 'clip retirement'... it is really stunning to my ear. I still think Jim personally feels his HD cabs are 'the top of the line' based on his 'tone in his head', but I think he is also very happy with the somewhat brighter but still very fat CN tone. I LOVE it, and the weight spec is stupid good!

4. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

cool - nice write-up

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Very cool, Ken!

It will be very difficult for me to gig anything but my AE210s, but the 212 is something I would definitely want to check out. 46lbs for a quality 212 is perfect!

7. KJung

KJung

Edit: Forgot... price:

CN212 $1,170

CN112 $ 749

Padded covers will be available immediately when the line starts to ship.

8. KJung

KJung

Here is a picture next to my beloved AE210(II). The CN212 sounds like an AE210 with a much meatier low end and of course, massively more volume. Amazingly, not much heavier than a single AE210:bassist:

[​IMG]

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Nice! I think a single CN112 is a perfect alternative to when one or both of my Baer ML112s are more than is needed and a lighter/smaller cab is preferable.

I liked the AE112 and loved the AE210(B). I suspect the CN112 will be the perfect evolution of the AE line combined with some of the design features of the HD cabs.

10. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Can't say as I blame Jim for not doing 10's in this line...for most of the high end neo drivers, 10's, 12's and 15's all cost about the same, with 10's and 12's often being slightly MORE expensive than the 15's. With that being the case I think it makes sense to get the most sensitivity and SPL you can for your buck :)

11. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Nice. It's great to see the cabinet manufacturers finally delivering meaningful reductions in cabinet weight and size to go along with what the amp companies have done. It's truly a great time to be a bass player.

12. KJung

KJung

Not sure when Jim will have a picture and exact specs of this cab on his site. However, the cab is pretty much identical looking to the picture of the HD112 and 212 on his home page. The only difference, as far as I know, is the 'carbon fiber' grey/black tolex versus the pure back. Porting, grill, size, etc.... for all practical purposes, identical.

I again took purposefully non-detailed pictures since the cab was a prototype. Primarily to give you guys a feel for the size of the cab, etc.

13. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

14. KJung

KJung

I haven't been as excited about a piece of gear since I got my Sonic Turbo Tuner:D

Seriously, this cab is a classic case of Jim's formal education in Acoustic Engineering, and also his sense for what makes a bass guitar sound good. Wonderful compromise of good, solid design with a voicing that made me almost laugh when I plugged it in:

P Bass and Aguilar TH500.... perfect... fat, warm, growly, punchy,

J Bass, Glockenklang Blue Soul... perfect... big down low, grindy but not clanky up top, plenty of snap with the tweeter at noon, warm and musical. That combination is a freakin' hammer.

Rob Allen Mouse with the F500... big but not flubby/overextented, woody and organic, warm up top, articulate.

15. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

Ah Jeez, and I just bought an AE112. :D

46lbs for a 212? That's ridiculous! :p

16. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Very cool - thanks for posting.
    And GAS - dispensing ;)

17. marc40a

marc40a

I'd be estatic if the final version was coated as opposed to tolexed.

18. JEDBass

JEDBass Supporting Member

Wow.....subscribed!!

I have a feeling at least one of my HT/EX-ER's will be going up for sale soon. I love those things, but this almost sounds too good to be true. 4 lbs heavier than my HT-112? Just crazy!

19. willsellout

willsellout

That is AWESOME news!

20. KJung

KJung

The Tolex is pretty cool. I know one of the few complaints about the AE line of cabs was that the spray on finish, while beautiful, was a bit fragile. I also know that a heavy duty truck bed like finish adds a meaningful amount of weight to the cab, so this seems like a good compromise of great looks, reasonable ruggedness (I always recommend the padded cover for any high end cab), and super lightweight combined with quite amazing performance (tonally and volume-wise).

21. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Thanks for the great review! This what I was after with my custom 1010/6 that is being morphed into 2- 112 w/Tweeter by aour friend DonO formerly of Michigian now in Washington. Love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.