New Bridge Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MikeyMcMike, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MikeyMcMike

MikeyMcMike

Hey guys,

I need a new bridge for my bass. This is just my back up bass. It is a Shine active 5 string. I cant find the name of it anywhere and its about 2 years old so I have thrown away the box. I have put in an image of it below.

I need a new bridge for it and I am having real trouble finding what a good bridge would be. Throw all suggestions at me altho I dont want to be spending a lot on a new on if at all possible as this is only my back up as I use a Fender Mexican Jazz. I would love to use it more but the main problem is the action is too high for my liking. I have lowered the bridge to the lowest it can go. I have taken it to a pro but they said a new bridge would be needed.

I have looked at a variety of bridges but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Cheers[​IMG]

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Changing that bridge would be a project, and you haven't indicated what you have done to correct the problem.

Have you had a pro check the setup of that instrument and go through it? The first thing to do is have a good setup done...don't start changing parts until you know for certain that the parts are faulty or won't do what you need done.

3. MikeyMcMike

MikeyMcMike

I have lowered the bridge to the lowest it can go and also adjusted the trust rod (one by a pro). I have taken it to a pro but they said a new bridge would be needed.

4. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Truss rod. Not trust rod.

It's something you use to reinforce the neck, not something you are willing to leave alone with your wife.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MikeyMcMike

MikeyMcMike

Maybe the truss rod wasnt touched, it was a wee while back i took it took a pro to be honest. I have been researching for ages and got no closer to finding a solution...

7. Pilgrim

I find that hard to believe, but "pros" come in many shapes and sizes. If it's a pro at Guitar Center or a comparable place, I would be strongly inclined to distrust that opinion. The chances that a manufacturer would ship a bass with a bridge that won't allow an appropriate range of adjustment are quite small.

OTOH, the chances that an inexperienced tech night blame a bridge are relatively high. He might also not think of modifications you could make to the bridge which would solve the problem.

If the pro is a luthier or experienced repairman, I'd be more concerned, but I'd still look for a second opinion. That bass is really pretty and I'd hate for you to have to re-work the bridge. PLEASE keep up your research before changing parts.

And I think a complete setup - done by someone who knows what he is doing - will be part of the solution.

Please continue the discussion while we wait for people like 202DY and Walter to come along and give you better and more experienced opinions.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

As long as it's a bolt-on neck, all you need is a neck shim.

9. MikeyMcMike

MikeyMcMike

To fair the bass did cost me £150 new, I needed a 5 string for a band I was in at the time and I was shocked with how good it was, hence why I have never sold it. Sadly here in Northern Ireland a quality guitar shop is hard to find let alone a quality guitar pro but I will take it to a guy in a shop a bit further down the country with quite a good rep.

Thanks for your replies and help.

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Here's a visual explanation of a neck shim:

[​IMG]

11. Pilgrim

I agree that if it's a bolt-on neck, a thin shim will probably solve the problem. If it's a set neck, it's a bit more complex.

There is a TON of information on TB about how to add a shim. One thickness of a business card is often enough, and it's only a few minutes' work to do it.

12. MikeyMcMike

MikeyMcMike

Just found that image. Thankfully the neck is bolt on. Thanks guys.

13. Pilgrim

Since you may be on your own, use the stickies on this forum to review setup procedures - you can do it yourself, and shimming is really quite easy...but it's just one part of the process.