1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new bridge on vintage Fender JB

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spiritofcatemac, Dec 31, 2012.

1. spiritofcatemac

spiritofcatemac

I'v got to replace the bridge on my vintage ' 69 Fender JB, anyway the bridge is not original and does not aline properly the strings. I wounder if the

Official Fender American Standard High Mass Vintage Precision/Jazz Bass Bridge- String-Thru Body or Topload- Genuine Fender
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-American-Standard-P-Jazz-Bass-BRIDGE-Precision-Chrome-/190773348602?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c6afa48fa

would fit, or if I have to go with the

Official USA Fender Deluxe Precision/ Jazz Bass Bridge- Deluxe Chrome Plated Steel Bridge Plate
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-USA-Deluxe-Fender-Jazz-P-Bass-BRIDGE-Steel-Brass-American-6-OFF-/360528579320?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53f12d8af8...

Thanks, Chris
  2. atomicdog

atomicdog

Nothing wrong with hi-mas bridges, but they will change your sound.I find the vintage bridges to be more focused, more punchy.
  3. Bobster

Bobster

4. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

You say the bridge is not original? Any idea what kind it is? Maybe you can post a pic? If I had to replace a bridge on a bass like that, I would get one a sclose as possiblle to what came with it stock,certainly NOT any kind of modern HM bridge. (BTW, is it a reissue '69 or an actual '69?)
  5. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

This is the way to go, just switch out the saddles with the threaded ones.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

7. spiritofcatemac

spiritofcatemac

Thank you to every opinion. I is a original vintage Bass but the bridge is not Fender and there is no way to change saddles. It has a higher mass then the original. This bridges were installed also on Warwick basses in the 80's. The former owner installed this bridge as the original one would no let him slap as he liked to. I never changed it as it did the job more ore less for me. I brought now the bass in for service and I was recommended to change the saddle. I also was told the the original vintage bridge is not that precise for set-up as the newer ones and that was my main concern. Chris
  8. spiritofcatemac

spiritofcatemac

I found a foto...

[​IMG]
  9. 96tbird

The vintage bridge when set up by someone that knows how ( takes five seconds to learn) is every bit as accurate as any fancy new bridge. Any one that says its not accurate is not to be trusted because they have no clue. The accuracy of turning a screw to intonate is entirely dependent on the ability of the person to control their muscles from spasms or palsies;

When you intonate a bass, there is NEVER perfection all the way up and down the neck. You have to compromise a bit. No matter what people say, there is no perfect pitch on a fretted instrument.
  10. 96tbird

Schaller.
  11. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Your BS detector should have started going off, right about then.
  12. C.Linton

Indeed. Sounds like someone is trying to sell you a more expensive bridge. Get a proper Fender bridge with threaded saddles.
  13. Bobster

Bobster

As long as there isn't any mechanical issue with the Schaller bridge, don't change a thing.

Just set it up and go play!

Bob
  14. 96tbird

OP says it doesn't align the strings properly. Does he know the saddle spread is adjustable?
  15. C.Linton

Looking at the pic again Tbird's right. No need for any kind of new bridge if you don't want one. Like I said, it sounds like the tech is tying to sell you a bridge you don't need.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

not a fan of those schaller roller bridges (i think they're tone sponges) but you can obviously adjust the string spacing to your heart's content.

+1 to ditching it for a proper vintage-style bridge with the threaded saddles.