1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Build – SpaceBass 5 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kris pung, Oct 9, 2012.

1. kris pung

kris pung

I fell in love with JIO supersonic design and asked permission to use it which he graciously said yes.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/custom-performer-supersonic-bass-904968/

This project is more a remodeling of my 1st build so the neck and hardware are from that and I’m undecided on the pups and guts yet. The shape was widened to accommodate a 5 string neck and the body wood is some ash my dad had lying around for years.

This project will move quite slowly because my father’s shop is in Michigan and I’m in Illinois.

Well on to the Pictures, enjoy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dan B

Dan B

Subbed. Should be interesting.

What kind of wood are you using?
  3. kris pung

kris pung

It's a 4 piece Ash body and a real bugger to get the grain to somewhat match up.

I actually want to try to do a F-bass style grain enhancement for this. Can someone please give me some pointers to get something close to this finish?
    http://www.fbass.com/img/gallery/main/bn_13_final.jpg
  4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

If im not mistaken, that grain enhancement is a stain.

Apply stain to body, the. Sand until only the grain is stained.
  5. kris pung

kris pung

Then would you use a clear grain filler?
  6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I suppose so. I have seen other people do this tactic to enhance quilted maple. Dark stain first, then sand, then color. Im pretty sure f bass does a black stain for their grain enhancement on colored basses. But im not sure for this one. It looks like just a dark brown stain
  7. kris pung

kris pung

As promised things are moving along pretty slowly but I did recently finish all the routing. Next up the grueling finishing steps (sanding, filling, and clear coat).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Thats a dark grain filler to get that effect. I dont think staining and sanding back would work as the pores would have already been filled. Even if it did, it would still be pointless, as you could just dye (or use a dark) the filler
  9. kris pung

kris pung

First round of grain filler turned out pretty good but it may need another coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

Aha! You and Jio both! Looking good. Same question to you as Jio-----Performer neck specs in this?---altho in your build it would be proportionally done to accept the 5th string.

Subscribed!
  11. kris pung

kris pung

Thanks glad you like it!!
    The neck came off my 1st build which I was never quite happy with the body shape so I don't really know how to answer your question. Also yes the body was widen a bit to accommodate a wider neck.
  12. kris pung

kris pung

Getting closer!!

Black burst edge done and decal applied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Sweet build. :D Can't wait to see more progress.
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

That black edge, with the black highlighted gain, looks sweet! Is it heavier, though, by the horns than at the bottom, or is it just the pics?

Also, are you considering a black edge on the headstock?
  15. kris pung

kris pung

Thanks for the kind words and yes I did go a bit heavier on the black on the horns and on the back.

I kind of like the simple look to the headstock but a really faint black burst could be cool too (going to need to sleep on this one).
  16. millsbass5

millsbass5

(as you fall asleep, faint whispers)
    Do it, do it, do it, do it.......
  17. kris pung

kris pung

LOL I'm still thinking it over but I'm unsure how the black burst would look on the back on the neck. I guess I could paint the whole back of the neck black but not sure I want to go down that road.:meh:
  18. silentmike

silentmike

You could mask off the edges of the headstock so you only shoot the burst on the face? I think that could work well.
  19. kris pung

kris pung

Got the bass back from my tech today and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Now that we see pics of the built bass (and it really is a beauty!) allow me to invoke the second rule of TB.

Clips or we disbelieve. :D