1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Build: Headless, fretless, 3 octave fingerboard.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tare, May 12, 2012.

1. Tare

Tare

Starting a new build to use up some nice hardware that I have been camping on for far too long. Preliminary design complete:

[​IMG]

Three octave fretless fingerboard, 32 inch scale, twin EMG J's under a decorative string ramp run separately into 18v EMG BQC. Black ABM hardware. Body wings will be bookmatched 1/4 plates of lacewood over a cedar body core. The neck will be a 5 piece of sapelle and either flamed maple or ash. Fingerboard either ebony or cocobolo. Contrasting veneer accents should be assumed.

I will be trying to finish this one in a timely manner and will be cutting out wood later today.
  2. Tare

Tare

A bit of progress. All woods cut oversize and ready to be thickness-ed. Brought out the grain with a bit of xylene.

Off-cut of the lacewood that will become the top and back plates (Looks a bit more red in person.):

[​IMG]

The sapele and maple that will be the neck:

[​IMG]

Will thickness everything tomorrow, with the intent of getting the blanks for the sides and neck glued up this weekend. Though I still have to dye perhaps 10 sf of maple veneer black before that can happen.
    Cocobolo for the fingerboard (Will darken quite a bit.):

[​IMG]

Cedar for the body core:

[​IMG]
  3. king rew

king rew

nice design and beautiful wood!
  4. Tare

Tare

As a random bit of, hopefully helpful, information, I have recently bit the bullet and put one of the carbide tipped 1" Lenox woodmaster CT's on my bandsaw. I honestly have no idea how I got by for so long without it.

Cutting sapele:

[​IMG]

The cut itself:

[​IMG]

A light touch with 150 grit paper and the marks are gone.

Enlarged for effect:

[​IMG]

Also, when I write that I hope to complete this build in a timely manner, I am hoping to complete it in a month or less. Perhaps a bit ambitious as the last guitar I built (Still on the bench awaiting stringing.) took me 8 months of pecking away at it an hour here and an hour there. I am a hobbyist, after all; and not a particularly energetic one at that.

[​IMG]
  5. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

ABM bridge tuners and a 'C' bout. My kinda crazy. Subbed.
  6. dave-chaulk

dave-chaulk

Beautiful design, I can't wait to see this come together!
    That guitar looks great, too.

Good luck!
    David.
  7. dunic

dunic

the design looks nice! (and your other bass too!).

but how about if you replace the little hole on top and swap it to the other side, then you can safely open beerbottles with it :D
  8. jmorbita

jmorbita

nice!! subbed!