1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Build named Scrappy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassbuilder, Jul 31, 2012.

Pick Guard (see build thread for pictures) "New Build Scrappy"

1. Pick guard "A" (Fender J bass style top section)

56 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. Pick Guard "B" (Tele or Sray style top section)

25 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Well I am starting a new bass design. It will be based off a Sting Ray for the most part. I am caling this one Scrappy because I am using only parts and wood I have around the shop.

The Body at this point will have an Ash top that is 0.75" thick and the back will be a mix of Mahogany and/or Poplar. I have to see how much wood I have to get the job done. I am sure at this point I will use a Mahogany center section on the back. That should give a killer tone mixed with the ASH top.

The Neck will be a 1/2A Birdseye maple w/Rosewood F-board 21 fret. It will have Schaller tuners and a 3 way ajustable Gotoh bridge, control plate and knobs (all Chrome).

Electronics/Pick-ups: Bartolini MM pup in the correct bridge position and a Bartolini split J pup in the correct P bass location. This pup will be at an angle that covers the correct area of a P bass (see pictures), this bass will hopefully sound like my two favorite instruments, a SRay and a P Bass. I will use a 3 band Bartolini electronics (as long as they are not fried).

Pick guard: I am doing my own design and here is where I would like people to help. I will do a poll with pick guard "A" or "B", so let me know what you think. I am leaning toward "A" but like them both.

So I will start the thread with the poll question and add the other updates and pictures next. Hope you like it.

2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    This weekend I was able to get the body template cut out (see attached). This will be my master template that I made on 3/8" MDF. I will transfer it to void free plywood to use during contruction. I will also need to make one change to the final template and that is extend the heel joint out a little more. If I leave it as is, it will make the bridge location a little to cramp and could cause intonation issues. Now I will need to start on milling out the body blank. After that it should take no time to complete. Also to add to the specs of the bass.

Finish will be a satin Polyester finish. and Pickguard will be made of tort. I am making this bass to feel the void I have from selling my Sting Ray that had this look. I will post a picture to show my insperation.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

As a general rule, I hate pickguards.

But (A) looks awesome.

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Here are pictures of the Sting Ray that has inspired this build. I miss this bass so bad!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Thanks Hammerhed! That is the one I am leaning toward.

7. ampelmann

ampelmann

I think A is more aesthetically pleasing. The contours compliment the shape of everything around it, whereas B does for the most part except for the top. If that makes sense?

8. mazareth

mazareth Supporting Member

I voted "A." IMO, it fits better with the overall body style.

It ties the whole bass together. :bag:

9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Where's the "death to all pickguards" option?

10. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    That is what screw drivers are made for.

It is sounding like option "A" is the way to go. Thans everyone.

11. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Does anyone know the roundover radiuos on a stingray? Is it 1/2"?

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Nice marmot.

13. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Well, I had some time to kill today and was at my local wood store here and they just got a shipment of Ash in and on sale, 2.5bf for $7.50. So I had to go ahead and buy it. So now the body will be all Ash. The top will be a hard Ash 0.75" thick and the back will be a swamp Ash 1" thick. So this should work out great. I hope to have some time this weekend to get the body blank put together. I will keep you posted.

14. B_E_A_D_G

B_E_A_D_G

A is HOT! Looks great on the body

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Because of the angle of the 'neck' :)hmm: :D) pickup, I think B looks better.

16. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Well I was able to get some work done this weekend on Scrappy. I got the new template completed extending the heel the needed amount. Also I got the pick guard template completed and the body blank almost ready to be glued up. I am deciding if I want to drill a few chambers in the body before I glue it up to make it a little lighter but keep it as balanced as possible. Check out the pictures of the body blank first.

17. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Here is a picture of the pick guard template on the body template. You can see the new body template under the top one. I have them screwed together at the moment.

18. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I got the chambers drilled last night. So now I can start getting the body glued together. These chambers were done for weight only, so that is why they do not connect and are not that deep 3/8" per hole. This should shave some weight where I want it. I am trying to move the weight to the back of the body, to help counter the neck weight. The body on the left is the back side of the bass and the right is the top half. I am going to sand all the markings off and get the glued together. Until next time.

19. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I was able to do some work on the Scrappy build over the weekend. Still need to clean the sides up just a little and I wil then roud over the sides with a 1/2" roundover bit.

20. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Here is the build with the neck, p guard template and bridge on it, just as a mock up.

21. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I, for one, like well designed pickguards. I voted "A" but it looks like you're locked into that choice anyway. This looks like a killer design. Looking forward to the end result.